Dolomite 1850 single rail gearbox available

johny

If anyones interested and in the Norfolk area I think this non OD gearbox is for an 1850 and not as the seller (no relation) indicates for a Spitfire. I contacted him ages ago and, although he cant find the serial number, the input shaft length seems correct for fitting to a Vitesse or GT6. The box would need modifying but should have the bigger synchros and mainshaft tip plus later cut gears so I would be interested myself but its too far and anyway I already have too many spares...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154775942800

I think the Midget will have the same input shaft length as a Spitfire and this one is longer but not as long as a TR7 unit. Scrapman could be right as maybe the Marina unit matched the 1850 unit in size but unfortunately not in ratios. This might explain why the seller cant find the serial number although I dont think he's looked very hard as it could be under that paint...

The part number on the rear extension translates as MG Midget and Spitfire Mk4 1500 (US version?)

So perhaps it is.

Had forgotten about TR7 4-speed.

The paint colour is that used by a major reconditioning company many years ago, and they painted everything.

I have one still in its plastic wrapper.

7 hours ago, Mathew said:

The serial number should be stamped on the top of the main casting next to the top lid . If thats been painted over , or missing i would stear clear! Either its badly looked after or dodgy provenance.

cor dear I reckon he would take 30 quid for it so not too much of a gamble - you could end up with the best standard gear set available for GT6/Vitesse and theres not many of those left! Guess the only way to really know what it is would be to count the first gear turns ratio...