Spitfire MK IV Windscreen trim fitting

European Voyager

Has anybody had trouble fitting the trim onto the windscreen rubber on a Spitfire , Its a new rubber and the trim is also new , The trim is very close together on the back  at the edges and that is where Im having the trouble as it just wont go in . The gap on the trim is wider along the straights but narrows down on the curved edges .  I have made the suggested tool and its ok until I get to the corner .

The screen is fitted to the car .  Any advice on how it was done would be greatly appreciated .

EV

on a mkIV is this just the plastic mylar chromed insert or the fully covering stainless trim

i would fit the mylar once the screen is in  if the rubbers have not been heat formed corners then they stretch on the fold round the corner

to late once its bedded in but corners can be packed out on the glass with slices of stuff like screen wash tube 

as for stainless the most fit to the rubber before fitting to the screen frame  

both trims are there to lock the glass in the rubber 

C 0 Baines do formed rubbers so the corners stay consistent

Pete

11 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

on a mkIV is this just the plastic mylar chromed insert or the fully covering stainless trim

I think it's the wide stainless "fully covering" type. It certainly is on Mk3 GT6

1 hour ago, European Voyager said:

Its the plastic type and I think what your saying is correct , Im not sure where the rubber came from

Hmm.... just a narrow T-profile push-in type? Do you maybe have a wrong rubber?

Photo please!

Just to clarify, which type of finisher is under consideration? The 'red' is GT6 mk3/spit Mk4, the 'white' is GT6Mk2/Spit3. The later 'full width' type was stainless steel up to 1974 then plastichome thereafter.

The 'full width' type was designed by Satan. It can only be fitted with the screen out of the car, particularly because at the corners the shapes of the rubber has to follow the trim rather than the trim following the rubber.

I had three goes at this resulting in 1 x knackered rubber and 1 x cracked screen. Eventually capitulated and got professional help - but even that wasn't good: First company didn't know how to do it, second thought they could do it and couldn't, but third firm has loads of experience with classics and sorted it in half a day. That was Andy at AllClear screens of Biggleswade, but not much help for Scotland.

Windshield_Closeup.jpg

windscreen_finisher_trim_for_bottom_seal.jpg

• Like 1

HI 

Thanks for all the replies , I will get pictures and we can all see it . Just in case it matters the body shell is an American one that I bought years ago , Im now hoping that there Isnt a difference in the screen frames but I cant see that , Im now wondering if its the wrong rubber as its not the t shped design its the plastic silver trim we have been supplied with but it could be a rubber for the stainless type thats been supplied .

It looks like the red trim above from memory 

I will get pictures and post when Im back in the workshop.

EV

54 minutes ago, European Voyager said:

It looks like the red trim above from memory

The red car above has a stainless steel trim. That's correct for a MkIV Spitfire. The plastic one is the T-shape insert on the white car. However, according to Chris, 1500 Spitfires had a plastic version of the stainless steel one, so maybe that's what you've got?