Gt6 mk 3 front springs

Hi Johno

Standard springs for GT6 are rated at 220lb/in. 

I have 330 lb/in 'uprated' springs on my Mk2, which were supplied by Triumphtune in the 1980s, which I use with Koni fixed seat dampers. This lowers the front slightly. I always felt the front end was a bit 'floaty' and the uprated strings and of course the new and better spec dampers were a significant improvement in my opinion.

Moss Europe took over the Triumphtune range and although they list TT4701PR 330lb/in springs, they are shown as NCA (not currently available) https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/uprated-road-springs-front.html

SC parts list a 330lb/in spring for Spitfire/Herald with a free length of 250mm. (they state the free length or original springs is 325mm)  https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/coil-spring-1-148377.html

Rimmers list an uprated spring with a rate of 264lb/in which is 20% over standard. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-212425UR

The club shop have 'heavy duty' GT6/Herald/Vitesse spring at 15% over standard ie 253lb/in and state that 'they will raise the ride height unless used with adjustable pan shocks'.

Others have used springs rated at 480lb/in and above.

Without taking the springs off my car I cannot confirm the free length (others may have that info) but the fitted length is circa 190mm.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will chip in.

Ian

Johno

When I bought my car in 1978 the previous owner had been towing a boat far too heavy for the cars engine or suspension. I found the rear spring broken and the front pair 2" shorter than they should  be. They were standard but deformed by violent compression, I replaced them with standard from Rimmers. 

40 later I got repeated MOT advisories "Road springs excessively rusty" Of course they are! The clue's in the name! :angry: However from my previous experience I thought time to replace them.  I bought from the club shop,  a good price and no problems since. I got standard which are fine and the way Triumph thought it should be. 

Incidentally the rusty springs were exactly the same height as the new ones so probably could have been cleaned up.  

If you want uprated that depends on what you want to do, racing, hill climbing, rallying or towing a boat!  Best to go to a local meeting and hitch a ride with someone who has something different.

Doug

Johno, what are the roads like round your way? I had 480lb springs and found the drive was horrible as the car crashed over the Berkshire pot holes. I've now fitted standard (for a Spit) 180lb springs and I think the handling is fine. I suppose you've got to weigh up the road surface against how sharp you want the steering to be. If you only do track days then it's no contest - 480lb all the way!

Cheers, Richard