clutch plate

mikemunro

It has been a while, but B+B did a special cover for the laycock plate. No idea what the difference is/was as I have always assumed a clutch plate is a clutch plate. 

I guess if they are a different thickness it would matter?

BTW see if you can get a laycock complete clutch. They really are excellent, better even than proper B+B. (I do not include modern B+B stuff here, that is all re-badged  Firstline stuff)

Thickness matters , the disc thickness is hidden in the manuals as test buttons to use when testing

coil covers need a thicker disc than diaphragm covers , mix them and clamp load go low and pedal loads go high

all diapragm should use same disc thicknes as this controlls the

postion of the throwout the fingers should be protruding and go flat on full pedal, never inwards

pete

Thickness matters , the disc thickness is hidden in the manuals as test buttons to use when testing

coil covers need a thicker disc than diaphragm covers , mix them and clamp load go low and pedal loads go high

postion of the throwout the fingers should be protruding and go flat on full pedal, never inwards

pete

hi pete so are you saying a laycock friction plate is ok ? my clutch has only done about 3000 niles but on inspection its nearly gone down to the lines on one side, i have triple webers on the car and its a bit tricky to get going without slipping the clutch a bit. iv just rebiult it into a 2.5 so i was going to chang the plate as a matter of cause thanks mike

pete

not overly sure but shouldnt thay be the same thickness if there disigned for the same car? 

as i said the thickness is not given in most triumph manuals ,  

but 1200 herald/   spit    0.305" mintex material

vitesse Coil cover         0.330"   wound yarn

GT6/Vit2    8.5"              0.290/0.270"   wound yarn

the 2000/25000  look to use the same clutch at Vit2/GT6but no data given

these are the test thickness buttons used to simulate a plate , to do this clamp the disc linings in a vice and measure the jaw gap, dont crush it just a good nip

here's a good list of what failures look like and possible causes 

http://clutchnet.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=2&Itemid=129

Pete