herald wiper motor

paul fosh

he sorting out the wiring on the bond . has the same square type wiper motor as the early herald , wired up but will not go back to park position only if you catch it on the switch , sure it should self park  . must have a wire wrong  at the moment 2 going to earth 1 going to switch live both earths going to a spade terminal on the bulk head got a feeling probably  where the problem may be paul

There are three wires on the motor but only two covered spade terminals; one wire goes to the spade terminal with the cutout - it's the power and DO NOT mix it up with any others - and it will have a tag on the spade terminal cover so it cannot be mixed up. It should be white. The other one is green and black and goes to the other spade terminal then to the switch. The earth, the third wire that is wound along with these two wires goes to a tag on the screw through the endplate. The other earth, a short distance away, goes to a terminal on the bodywork where the washer bottle bracket is. 

To set the self park lightly loosen the screws holding the cover plate around the large circular drive cover with the wire on top; rotate it slightly and the wipers should move to your preferred park position. It may take a few tries to get it right.

have no loom wires to go by, as loom had been cut i am using a old loom to splice in as required. just had a look my motor has 1 earth on the wiper casing , then 2 spade terminals sure i have then right as the motor runs from the switch ok ? done a bench test before i fitted 1 to other live on the battery checking i had the live feed on the correct spade first .thank you for your help colin probably me not thinking it through paul

It's not at all unusual for the self-park contact to wear out, or the rivets that connect it to corrode and break. When that happens you get your symptoms. You also get a condition where swapping the live feed and switch wire appears to make no difference. With the self-park intact, getting them the wrong way round causes smoke.

NOTE: on the Herald, the live feed to the motor is permanent and the switch is on the ground side. Getting that wrong will also cause it not to self-park.