Protecting the glass

Rockape

Further to the issue of re-fitting the glass to the hard top , it seems that glass is unobtanium, so if it were to break , this would be a Bad Thing.

Perhaps the risk could be reduced by sticking duct tape to both sides of the glass to give it some extra strength? Avoiding the rubber gasket area obviously - but it seems to me this could add quite a bit of strength….

what do you think?

I don't think duck tape will help at all, and it'll take ages to remove the residue. It may offer some protection from chipping if impacted by a small screwdriver but very little effect on the sort of bulk bending and stressing that could result in a breakage while fitting. If the glass is toughened rather than laminated (which is likely given that it's probably original) then it will take a moderate bit of thumping with the palm of a hand, which is all you will need to do.

Rubber on the glass, string round the rubber, locate the bottom edge over the lip, then have a mate push the glass into place while you pull the string inside the car to fold the rubber lip over the rest of the way round.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

is the glass marked as toughend ???    you wont break it 

laminated yes risky 

Pete

Can’t see any marks but pretty sure it is not laminated - looking edge on there is no sign of that.

one curious thing though - along one li g edge there are four equally spaced dimples in the glass - presumably part of the manufacturing process? They are hidden by the gasket.

Well….the glass is in. Eventually went to Nationwide Windscreens. The technician that came out has been fitting auto glass for 30 years and gets assigned all the classic car jobs in his area. With only a modicum of help from me, job done! 

of course the “chrome” trim doesn’t fit neatly in the gasket, so am looking at some alternatives to finish off that cosmetic job….

next up ….adjust the drivers door window so it actually touches the seal..

8 hours ago, Rockape said:

next up ….adjust the drivers door window so it actually touches the seal..

The fun bit is when all your shim washers for the runners fall out into the bottom of the door shell…

Is the chrome trim the same as the one for the windscreen? That’s something that doesn’t fit well on mine and I’d like to find something better. So would be interested in what you discover. 

12 hours ago, Josef said:

The fun bit is when all your shim washers for the runners fall out into the bottom of the door shell…

Is the chrome trim the same as the one for the windscreen? That’s something that doesn’t fit well on mine and I’d like to find something better. So would be interested in what you discover. 

Will keep you posted…..

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

when working in the door carcass always tie 12" of cotton to anything you are working on so it can be retrived from its flying lessons 

Pete

..and also cut a piece of card/newspaper to put in the bottom of the door to stop the bit that you've dropped getting covered in whatever you squirted in the bottom of the door to stop it rusting!