Is this choke knob for a MK3 Spitfire?

Piglet

Nope! I can see it says ‘choke’ on it, the Spitfire ones have the symbol. Paddocks etc do a new one which comes with a solid cable. The braided ones like that one in the listing disintegrate eventually. Note though the new ones do not come with the label. You’ll have to obtain a broken one from a breakers and swap in the labelling.

Also, don’t buy random choke cables you think might fit off eBay otherwise you’ll end up with a collection of useless ones. Totally not speaking from experience :P (It is just possible to make a Herald one or a squaretail one fit, but they’re a tiny bit too short)

Thanks everyone. More invaluable info. To be honest I can live with the one I have, but it would be nicer to have the correct item fitted. I'll look at Peacocks and Rimmers and see how the prices compare.

Alex

Give Spitfire Graveyard or similar a ring and ask for a choke knob where the cable is snapped off or otherwise useless. You can then extract the plastic ‘glass’ and the choke symbol and fit them in your new one.

Hi Alex,

I also found that nobody seems to make a choke cable that is right for the early Spitfires. I ended up making one from a heater control, with the nice ratchet, but I replaced the stiff piano wire with a braided bicycle brake cable (the stiff wire is wrong for the Spitfire because the angle is too tight where it joins the carbs and it tends to bind up. Also it does not need the push of the solid wire to return the choke as the spring loading on the carbs is usually strong enough)

I couldn't find anybody who supplied the correct knob so I used the heater one with a choke symbol that I drew on the computer and printed onto silver card.  I have a couple of spares and if you PM me your address I will pop one in the post.

Adrian

switch prints.jpg

Thanks Adrian! PM sent. Yes the bike cable idea is a good one and I've done the same thing before. I may as well contact the Graveyard too just in case he has a knackered one lying about. If all else fails it's the one from Paddocks and I can use Adrian's choke symbol on it.

Alex

the knob is available for 7.80 from Rimmers Ok for a TR4 but same symbol https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-704873 so you can get the symbol from there, you could also get the cable from them which could save postage. It would probably cost more to buy a scrap cable and get it posted. Not normally a fan of Rimmers but they do supply a good range. I am of course assuming that the symbol would swap over

21 minutes ago, Josef said:

How did you fix the cable inner to the actual pull

I did solder it. The first attempt was a total failure, but that was because I hadn't realised that the bike cable was teflon coated. I had success with a non-coated one. The piano wire pulled out of the pull part surprisingly easily and the braided cable fitted into the hole very neatly. This is version 4 of of a long running battle to get a choke cable that did not need super-human force to pull it out, and one that actually stays where you want it. It works really well.

• Like 2

Little "tip" from experience. If shortening braided cable, (non coated) run solder into the area where you wish to cut, before you cut, stops the braid from unravelling. used to do this with bike/M-Bike cables back in the 50`s/60`s.

Pete

• Like 2