Toggle switch wiring

Iain T

I've bought some toggle switches with an led light on the switch. They have three spades, I have two wires! To enable the led light to work do I need to piggy back off one of the spades! 

The two spades at the bottom are on/off (checked with avo). 

IMG_20220608_143025.jpg

Ha just looking at these for my fan switch. The top terminal must be earthed for the LED to work then, when you switch on, the power goes out on the RH terminal and at the same time goes to the LED where it flows through it to earth👍If you get the power in/out mixed up the LED will be on all the time....

6 minutes ago, johny said:

Ha just looking at these for my fan switch

Snap! Can I also get an audible  "turn the bl***y fan off you idiot" message! 

Thanks for that Johny, plenty of earth possibilities around the dash. 

Iain 

One issue with having the earth spade on the side is the wires either dangle down or in my case don't fit as it hits the dash panel. I've fitted it so the switch works horizontally. However I will be changing for a similar switch with the three spades at the back as having all the connections facing forwards makes the cables tidier. 

Iain 

• 4 months later...

Just as an aside, I had fun fitting some illuminated switches to my relay controlled accessories!

Yes, they tell you the relay is powered up, but NOT if the accessory is on !!! ....you need a 2nd in line lamp to check power is flowing to the item. (Fog lamp, reversing light etc). Nightmare to do and a spiders web of wires :)