GT6 Rotoflex heelboard carpet fitting

Ian Cooper

Hi. I'm recarpeting my Mk2 GT6 and all is going well but the carpet supplied for the heelboard has a lot of work to do, covering the tie rod mounts, passing over the transmission tunnel and up onto the shallow deck leading to the back axle 'hump'. Has anyone got any photographs of this area please?

Thanks

Ian

Is this a moulded carpet? If so the bulges etc should be all in the right places, but if a std carpet meant fir non rotoflex  it is a bit of a nightmare. 

I was cheap, I cut up thd rather tatty original carpet, moving the humps. Then used black stretch carpet glued over the top. 

My car would be of little use to see, rather too modified.

Here's a Spit which is correct enough to be a guide.

It's two separate pieces: one for the heelboard, one for the deck.

But absent on many repro carpets is the thick plastic beading sewn in to the leading edge of the deck carpet and which is a push fit over the lip at the front of the deck. Without this, or a facsimile of it, it can look a mess.

The heelboard section on my GT6 annoyed me greatly because of the compromises needed to get it to fit (nip, tuck, glue). But since I put the seats in I've not seen it again (!). Hence happy.

IMG_0001.JPG.3c01a78b7846a3c00f9e470f0831149d.JPG

On my repro carpet, I stiched the two together with a dark polypropylene thread. As the edges of the carpet pieces were 'whipped' over with thread by the supplier, rather than being finished with a bias type edge binding, it looked fine. Solved the problem of holding a long narrow piece of carpet to a vertical surface nicely, well, along with a little copydex.

I am torn (no pun) between getting a new cheap carpet set as mine is disintegrating in various sections or getting an off cut from the local dealers and cutting  new bits where needed. Back deck, under seats etc are fine. Just need footwells and tunnel cover

32 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I am torn (no pun) between getting a new cheap carpet set as mine is disintegrating in various sections or getting an off cut from the local dealers and cutting  new bits where needed. Back deck, under seats etc are fine. Just need footwells and tunnel cover

I recently bought a genuine NoS drivers footwell carpet from Fitchetts. And got a NoS passenger side a few years ago from Canleys (very cheap)

As to tunnel carpet, one from a cheap set will be hopeless. Make your own.....