Strange number

ean

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I thought they were all veneered at some point in their life?

Dashboards certainly, but i'm still not sure about the cappings. I know you can buy full matched and veneered sets of dashboard and cappings but the spares I have all just appear to be varnished wood.

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I thought they were all veneered at some point in their life?

I was really surprised to find that mine were not veneered. Maybe PO sanded right through it. They are hard though, decent wood, I'll look for numbers next time I take one off.

All the cappings I have (some spares came with my current Vitesse) and used to have (on previous ones) are/were veneered, albeit front face only. The first Vitesse was only 20 years old (same age as the Yaris I'm currently welding up) and had not been restored at all.

Just looked at mine more carefully. Indeed, the rear cappings are veneered. The front ones had been sanded down ny PO's (and me). Fortunately, the grain is attractive.

On speaker cabinets long ago, I used an 'Iron on' veneer.

I am now trying the make the dashboard less crackly. Bits keep falling off so I am carefully peeling and then using my Yacht varnish on some of the 'Bald' parts. It looks better than the flaking, but will probably remove the dash next Winter.