Gearbox to bellhousing - paper gasket or sealant

Graham C

Some time ago I fitted a single rail gearbox to a GT6 bell housing, the bell housing was altered and a tube welded to cover the selector shaft extending into the bell housing. I now have a leak due the paper gasket failing and a bit of distortion due to the welding. 

I have the gearbox out and the question is do I use a combination of sealant on both sides of the gasket or just use sealant?

Using Wynnes black sealant recommended by my local garage.

Graham

As both John and Pete, have pointed out, you are likely to get a repeat of the leak, unless the face is flat, Sealant is very likely only a short term "fix".

Compromise would depend on how good you are with a Flat file and some "emery".? Small sheet of plate glass and feelers to check the accuracy?.

Pete.

Interesting as didnt consider the possibility of distortion with this modification for using a single rail g/box. Hopefully its quite localised around where the tube has been installed (top part of joint face?) and not too much filing would be required to correct it. Also I believe the gasket supplied is very thin so one cut out of a sheet of thicker material should help seal any remaining small imperfections...

Thank you for the responses, if I get it skimmed which I had considered the question still stands  - paper or paper plus sealant or just sealant?

I believe the distortion is very minor and localised to the welded area. 

Should have thought this one through

gasket with a smear of sealer around the  3 layshaft  spring  holes (if you have them )   but the lower of the bell hsg  bolt needs sealer and copper washer as its tapped thro' 

and below oil level 

i would question using sealer all over the face it doesnt want anything slippery in this face of it will allow it to move/pant  around 

Pete

Really flat surfaces don't need a gasket. But that is hard to achieve - think a precision flat table, but ten times flatter!      And the bell to gearbox faces are large, so easier to seal.  Triumph just use a paper gasket.