Joint roof / body tub

iana

I need to remake the seal / joint between the roof and the tub on the herald estate, what material is suggested? Not sure what was originally used but it looks like a mastic that’s now got too hard

Should have made it clear, it’s the joint at the rear of the car (back of rear quarter lights)

just checked the canley site and on the parts list the seal is listed as 609837/8 so assume it would have been a rubber gasket, the part is no longer available

The c-post seals used to be available, although one side lived on many more years than the other. I can remember how happy I was when I found the rarer side at an autojumble.

Rimmers of course list them as Estate pillar seals, then spoil it all by adding that they're NLA. I think Bill Davies made a few sets years ago but probably all long gone. Best solution now is to cut flat rubber / plastic / silicone of the proper thickness, and then add a small bead along the outer edge to resemble the lip of the seal; that's something I've seen done before.

c-post_seals.JPG.007376813e81795c6f6a486dcc1df823.JPG

• Thanks 1

Colin don’t suppose you have a picture of how they Seoul’s have looked (ie was the joint left as black rubber (in which case I could use a black roofing sealant and it would be similar in colour) or was it over painted? Thanks 

10 minutes ago, iana said:

Colin don’t suppose you have a picture of how they Seoul’s have looked (ie was the joint left as black rubber (in which case I could use a black roofing sealant and it would be similar in colour) or was it over painted? Thanks 

Yes, a few photos: top one is original seal in good condition; middle looks original but worn and bottom is just a trim strip stuck on.

DSCF3283.thumb.JPG.0cac8a01da4392a99995fdef37e738ef.JPG

1593697663_Screenshot2022-07-22at16_24_14.png.ab0c758bea6f93e1c5459c2974e2f706.png

DSCF3282.thumb.JPG.61593af085cef80019e410446e9c78a6.JPG

• Thanks 1