1973 GT6 Restoration

3 hours ago, DJB350Z said:

It's been 2 weeks since I sprayed the top coat and paranoia is setting in about how thick the paint is for cut and polishing.

Since I have the paint, if I wanted to apply another 2 coats, could I do that over the top of what's there now, or would I be better off scuffing the surface beforehand (what grade paper)?

I'm in no rush to cut and polish, and I'm aware it needs some weeks before doing it. But, if I'm going to spray again I'd want to do it before the colder weather arrives.

Two weeks, mild possibly warm weather.. usual practice would be to cut back the surface ..everywhere (including into all the corners) to give the new paint (same brand and type I hope) a key.  I prefer to use 800-grit before top coating (with slightly soapy water) but I'm sure others would suggest 1000 or 1200 grit.   As long as I'll not see the rubbing down through the top coat when it's settled and dried - then 800 is quicker ..and I think a deeper key.

Alternatively, you could flat with 1200 and 1600 grit as if to polish, and if it doesn't go through on the corners then you WIN  ..just polish it.  If it does go through then flat and paint it again.

Pete 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bfg said:

Alternatively, you could flat with 1200 and 1600 grit as if to polish, and if it doesn't go through on the corners then you WIN  ..just polish it.  If it does go through then flat and paint it again.

Thanks, I'll probably go with this option. 

• Like 1