1973 GT6 Restoration

Engine wise things have stalled a bit. I was waiting for delivery of some powder coated engine mount brackets I managed to pick up from ebay. But now I'm thinking about sourcing some poly mounts for them if they exist. I guess TR5/6/saloon/GT6 are interchangeable.

I fitted the timing gear, cover, crank pulley and some other bits with new stainless replacements. I probably won't do anything more with it until it gets warmer, but plan to sort out some electronic ignition to go inside the original dizzy.

The rocker cover is on but only temporarily until its running and I'll sort something prettier.

20221216_130828.thumb.jpg.8bb364875a1b6af355ced84212b71af6.jpg20221216_130847.thumb.jpg.19fe5c684999396f7ceb77e4ee637420.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gully said:

Be careful with the length of those rocker cover studs. The front one should be shorter so it doesn't foul the bonnet. In fact, they all look longer than mine!

Gully

That's a good shout. When I put that cover on they seemed longer than what I'd seen in pictures. IIRC they're not all the same length either..

I'll address it when I get around to actually fitting the engine (with the bonnet off initially). There will be a lot of fettling going on so I'll leave a chrome cover to the very end, like a cherry on top.

34 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

if thats a chromed  steel  RC fine if you mean an Alloy  take great care many will foul  the GT6 bonnet

Pete

Hadn't gotten into the details of that. So maybe best to get my original one rechromed then. Interesting.

Question. Are these 4 holes on the rear of the B post supposed to be clear?

On both LH and RH sides the top hole has been plugged. Not sure why.. and the glass + frames are wrapped up well in the deep dark depths of my loft so not easy to get to.

20230109_143949.thumb.jpg.4eecf8ef0a0a82a427d83ecd10c233dd.jpg

3 hours ago, DJB350Z said:

Question. Are these 4 holes on the rear of the B post supposed to be clear?

On both LH and RH sides the top hole has been plugged. Not sure why.. and the glass + frames are wrapped up well in the deep dark depths of my loft so not easy to get to.

20230109_143949.thumb.jpg.4eecf8ef0a0a82a427d83ecd10c233dd.jpg

Looking at mine, there are 4 fixings for the quaterlight and frame, so the top one should be clear as well as the other 3.

Gully

Yup, 4 holes 'tis meant to be.  But it's commonplace that the nub of a blind rivet gets left behind when the QLs are being removed. Touch will a drill and it'll be gone.

It's well worth doing a trial fitment of the QLs early in the restoration process lest the holes be misaligned or have become oversized. There's quite a knack to fitting the QLs such that the adjacent paint doesn't get chipped so a practice session 'in the rough' can be worthwhile.

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, it looks like a left over rivet or something so will drill it out gently tomorrow. The other holes look uniform but will take your advice and do a trial fit though would it be wise to do so with the rubbers?

I may or may not have the originals,  but was planning to buy new anyway - just not right now.

1 hour ago, DJB350Z said:

would it be wise to do so with the rubbers?

Not quite as problematic as the frame itself can be, but probably a good idea nonetheless. I think original seals are very scarce  so it might be a case of of adapting an appropraite 'generic' seal (e.g. from COH Baines).

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Don't know how concerned you are about originality, but technically only the Mk1 GT6 had a chromed rocker cover.

It's a concern I'm sensitive to but I'm happy to make exceptions to the rule areas I think aesthetically or functionally it makes sense.

15 hours ago, chrishawley said:

Not quite as problematic as the frame itself can be, but probably a good idea nonetheless. I think original seals are very scarce  so it might be a case of of adapting an appropraite 'generic' seal (e.g. from COH Baines).

Convinced myself to drag the box of seals I have from their cave to discover that I don't have those specific ones. 🙃

Good news is that after drilling out a couple of holes all 4 line up with the bracket and once properly fixed I should get a slim, but hopefully acceptable clearance all the way around.

20230110_122512.thumb.jpg.cc876cd24dc4b6a56fcb86911141cf34.jpg

Not looking forward to doing that once painted though!

After sanding the intricate shapes of the bulkhead I was keen to get to some of the bigger panels, so today I got a few hours free and I started sanding the rear arch quarter light area back to metal.

I found sanding with a block by hand to be more effective than my orbital sander. The sander is almost so good it clogs quite quickly even at a slower speed and a vacuum attached. The former is of course harder work but I'm pleased how it's going and I'm learning which tools and grades of paper work best for each. A long way to go still but I have to remember it's a marathon, not a sprint!

IMG-20230111-WA0004.thumb.jpg.86ab1e9ad8423c4eb80addd4c6851ed5.jpg

20230111_144457.thumb.jpg.011e7c324bcc72c0e2d1f6bb17003485.jpg

The car cover adjacent to the GT6 causes a lot of red reflection against the bare metal in the photos sadly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jase1969 said:

I'd get a grinder on the paintwork with the appropriate removal wheel on it, it will save you a lot of time.

I've got one and it's quite aggressive so I've been using it sparingly so I don't bite deeply into the metal beneath paint.

The paint on the bonnet is quite thick though so I'll make most use of it there I think.

44 minutes ago, DJB350Z said:

I've got one and it's quite aggressive so I've been using it sparingly so I don't bite deeply into the metal beneath paint.

The paint on the bonnet is quite thick though so I'll make most use of it there I think.

You do need to be careful but I found the plastic wheels a lot better, I used a sanding disc on one of my doors and had to finish off with some filler but it didn't take long. Restoration looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

26 minutes ago, Jase1969 said:

You do need to be careful but I found the plastic wheels a lot better, I used a sanding disc on one of my doors and had to finish off with some filler but it didn't take long. Restoration looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

Do you mean these? https://www.toolstation.com/abracs-poly-abrasive-disc/p22693

I bought a few as well but haven't been brave enough to use one yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot today if it is.