Outer window waist seal again

brian wesby

Having serious problems as many others with this window seal, so I've done some research. The seal for the GT6 in Rimmer Bros. is part no. 612792.

This looks like the one shown in the red covered workshop manual for the Vitesse on page 194, fig. 34 item 87. with clip no.613169. The seal in Rimmer's for the Herald/Vitesse is part no.608278 using clip no.613869 and looks nothing like the manual and is just too fat and impossible. Am I and perhaps others using the wrong product or am I deluded? Any comments most welcome.

many aftermarket seals are made with more plastic less metal , you may need to spreadthe clip with a  butch screw driver  to get the things over the thicker seal 

they are sharp get the sticky plaster handy 

then its the multi handed tie cotton to retrieve the flying clip  lift firmly with yourhooky thing, then tap the seal downwards all at the same time 

Pete

The original outer seals for the Herald/Vitesse Door Windows had a thinner section where the clip attached it to the door skin

Like Pete suggests you may need to spread the clips for the reproduction door seals, have you made up a tool as per the workshop manual to hold and fix the clips onto the seal/door?

I believe 608278 is the correct part number for the Herald/Vitesse outer seal with 613869 the clips to suit, although 613169 is also a similar clip and listed by both Rimmers & Paddocks

Maybe the 613169 clips suits the repro seals better? 

I did pick up an original pair of door outer seals and they definitely did have a thinner section where the clips fitted and I seem to remember the correct clips are painted green, but I'm not 100% on this

Gary  

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

I did pick up an original pair of door outer seals and they definitely did have a thinner section where the clips fitted and I seem to remember the correct clips are painted green, but I'm not 100% on this

Gary  

The original seal is a triangular cross section, almost a Y-shape where one piece goes down into the door and the other folds over the gap to create a seal. Original versions have wire reinforcement and can't be bent in circles like the Rimmers photo. These are old, original seals viewed end on.

BA013993-A6DC-40C8-866F-E26E5B961989_1_105_c.jpg.85d388551381560b1d31da6838d5922f.jpg

There are as Gary says indents for the clips, but make sure the clips are the larger blue or green versions, not the smaller clips. Sportscarsupplies seem to have the correct version of seal:

https://www.sportscarsupplies.com/door-window-weatherstrip--weatherseal--kit--herald--vitesse-all-models-203-p.asp

• Like 1