I'm embarrassed

I've just noticed that Classics Monthly are running an article on my car in their January edition. The photographer took pictures in October. I specifically asked that they wait until the car is finished before printing anything. This means adjusting panel gaps and shut lines, reupholsterd seats replacing the vinyl in the dash area that had become un-glued during the heatwave in France and of course painting. I've not given them any words so I have absolutely no idea what they are going to print. So, in a nutshell Im disappointed and more than a little concerned the the car will look like a dog's breakfast. med_gallery_67_25_8744.jpgmed_gallery_67_25_58184.jpgabout the pictures they choose to print.

rest assured you will have some cracking enhanced photo's with a script made up from past history, old road tests ,myths and with luck some notes about.

what like what you said

been there a couple of times with the Vit6 but always pleased with the overall outcome  make sure you request some copies of the snaps , they all tend to say 

you will get some..... blah blah.......its never happend for me

Pete

rest assured you will have some cracking enhanced photo's with a script made up from past history, old road tests ,myths and with luck some notes about.

what like what you said

been there a couple of times with the Vit6 but always pleased with the overall outcome  make sure you request some copies of the snaps , they all tend to say 

you will get some..... blah blah.......its never happend for me

Pete

Fingers crossed then eh Pete?

John,

Do not bother with the crossed fingers. The car will be seen as what it is, a brillant design of a car and one that any of us would be proud to own.

Neil

That's very kind of you to say Neil. Thank you.

I spoke to the painter yesterday and his plan (well mine actually) is to have the car painted by the end of February. This will give me a month to re-assemble it and be on the road for the beginning of April. 

By the way, are you doing the Silverstone Classic? We are hoping to be there for the GT6 celebrations and of course a drive round the circuit. It should be a memorable occasion.

John, I don't see how it can be embarrassing. You created the car and there it is in the flesh, a properly unique car (not like so many that claim to be that)

The fact is unpainted will just add to the history. Hopefully another article will be done once it is painted and all those little jobs sorted (and there is always a list, something I know too well!)

Sit back, enjoy a break over Christmas and we are all waiting, like you, to see it in its new colours!

John, I don't see how it can be embarrassing. You created the car and there it is in the flesh, a properly unique car (not like so many that claim to be that)

The fact is unpainted will just add to the history. Hopefully another article will be done once it is painted and all those little jobs sorted (and there is always a list, something I know too well!)

Sit back, enjoy a break over Christmas and we are all waiting, like you, to see it in its new colours!

I feel better already. Thank you for your support guys. I believe the magazine hits the shelves on 24th December so I'll have to venture out on Christmas Even and get a copy.

cant wait to see it. To be honest, the thread is bound to be better than the article !

You have to be right because everything in the article has to have been made up whereas the thread is based on facts. Apart from chatting (on many subjects) to the photographer, sat in his car while we were waiting for the rain to stop I have told them nothing about the project at all. So, all very odd and, slightly intriguing.

John,

I know I must join in the GT6 celebrations, but where? Santa Pod is probably a must, my local club (Locks Heath) makes a big thing about Silverstone and goes as a club, so I think I need to pencil that in. Isle of Man in early June (after the TT) has now been arranged with 7 couples going.

Incidently, I did a photo shoot with Classic & Sports Car last month and that is due out in the March issue as a celebration of the GT6 50 years.

Lots to look forward too.

Neil

John,

I know I must join in the GT6 celebrations, but where? Santa Pod is probably a must, my local club (Locks Heath) makes a big thing about Silverstone and goes as a club, so I think I need to pencil that in. Isle of Man in early June (after the TT) has now been arranged with 7 couples going.

Incidently, I did a photo shoot with Classic & Sports Car last month and that is due out in the March issue as a celebration of the GT6 50 years.

Lots to look forward too.

Neil

Quite right Neil, there's a lot going on and a lot to look forward to. The year is becoming quite busy already. But it is going to be a memorable year for the GT6 and I foe one want to be part of it. Santa Pod and Silverstone are already on the calendar. I'm really sorry that we are unable to join your trip to the IOM but with a family holiday to Cornwall and at least two trips to France it's just not possible. Of course all this assumes the car will be back from painting and together.

Do hope you and your family have a very good Christmas.

Kind regards

John 

Ah, so glad you will be at Santa Pod. I think that could well be the best TSSC weekend for years, it certainly has the right ingredients. Plus I am looking forward to taking my car down the strip. You up for it John? (as long as I get my rear end sorted first!!)

Ah, so glad you will be at Santa Pod. I think that could well be the best TSSC weekend for years, it certainly has the right ingredients. Plus I am looking forward to taking my car down the strip. You up for it John? (as long as I get my rear end sorted first!!)

No I'm definotely not up for it Clive. A recipe for a trip home on a low loader! :)

But really looking forward to the event. Chris and I did a Run what you brung in our special and managed 13.1. They put us against similar performance cars and we weren't beaten all day.

Spoilsport!

13.1 sounds pretty quick to me, think I will be over 14 unless the car and more importantly I go on serious diets!

You're right of course Clive but that way,  I get to fight another day!

Like most Seven type cars it ran into aerodynamic problems at speed and at the end of the quarter it was only doing ninety seven mph and some of our competitors were catching up fast in the last hundred but none managed to get by. By seven standards the car wasn't light but we were running a n/a Cosworth YB giving just over two hundred bhp so it was quite nippy and quick off the line..

Ah, then maybe my 14 odd target is ambitious. I was thinking last night what I can ditch off the car. after the spare wheel is out and I keep the fuel tank fairly empty, there isn't a lot I am prepared to sacrifice. Maybe the towbar could go and is substantial, but after that????

Long term some lightweight lower wishbones may help a little. But ultimately the answer is simple . More power!

(apologies for thread drift! perhaps you would like to have a try in mine whilst there?)

Ah, then maybe my 14 odd target is ambitious. I was thinking last night what I can ditch off the car. after the spare wheel is out and I keep the fuel tank fairly empty, there isn't a lot I am prepared to sacrifice. Maybe the towbar could go and is substantial, but after that????

Long term some lightweight lower wishbones may help a little. But ultimately the answer is simple . More power!

(apologies for thread drift! perhaps you would like to have a try in mine whilst there?)

Yes and the great thing is that upping the power should be easy with that engine.

I've just come across this site which lists standing quarter times and it's interesting that all that equalled our time of 13.1 were going quite a bit quicker than we were over the finish line.

http://www.autosnout.com/Quarter-Mile-Car-List.php

At ease chaps, the Editor has pulled the article. It was with great relief that having flipped through the entire January edition of Classic Monthly I was delighted to note that the article on my car was absent. So hopefully we'll have another photo shoot once the car is finished and a subsequent article which should show the car as it is meant to be.

That's good news John and having looked through my CM mag, just delivered, it is not on the radar for February either. 

It will be an excellent article when published in all its glory.

Of course "we" on the Forum have VIP status during its evolution; does not get much better than that !!

Merry Christmas and all the very best in 2016. 

Regards.

Richard.

That's good news John and having looked through my CM mag, just delivered, it is not on the radar for February either. 

It will be an excellent article when published in all its glory.

Of course "we" on the Forum have VIP status during its evolution; does not get much better than that !!

Merry Christmas and all the very best in 2016. 

Regards.

Richard.

That's very kind of you Richard, thank you. And likewise my best wishes to you and indeed everyone on the forum for a very happy Christmas.

I'm planning on being at Santa Pod and the Silverstone Classic to take part in the GT6 celebrations and more importantly to meet in person many of the people who contribute to these pages. The encouragement I have received throughout the project have been an inspiration and helped keep the momentum going. So thank you, one and all.

John