My diff is bleeding!

Iain T

22 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

My dad brought a new Volvo 164 in 1972 & just before starting a 3 week Scotland & Ireland tour we noticed an oil leak from the front timing chain cover, a damaged gasket, he didn't have time to put the car in for warranty work so I trimmed the protruding gasket off and neatly painted over the outside of the covers joint with Gasket Goo, stopped the leak it was never repaired. The car was shipped to Aus in 74 and he traded it in in 1980 for a new Toyota Crown with the works separate AC & heating controls front & rear, also radio electric seats incl lumber tension, rear bench seat where the squab height could be altered and the backrest angle changed, in boot car fridge & cabin air filters for the front and rear compartments, but funnily it didn't have a sunroof?

My Vitesse diff had a slight dampness after a strip down & a new but very thin gasket from the gasket joint no drips as such. I cleaned it well and repeated my 1072 Volvo fix thoughly cleaning the external joint & using an Aero Gasket non setting Joint material (non silicon) it appears to be working. Can you still get the orange Gasket Goo as it surface dried so would be better, can't find it here in Aus.

That's interesting, thanks.