MK3 Spitfire leaky clutch

Piglet

If you pull the rubbers away from the clutch master cylinder you might see its wet so leaking or if dry then its the slave cylinder. Bear in mind that the bores of both can be corroded in which case they have to be replaced so I would weigh up the cost/risk/time/hassle of stripping compared to buying new and swopping out...

Re clutch Masters locally here there not worth rebuilding and as there NOT an emergency item we've replaced quite a few units on club cars with a similar new item supplied to the aftermarket Trailer industry of Asian manufacture, but supplied locally at around $20 delivered, never had one fail yet! Can't get a set of seals for that. 

This is the normal size/shape for the clutch master cylinder. I’ve had a County cylinder like that on my Herald’s clutch for years, they do the job. TRW is the brand to search for if you want a nominally higher quality one. 5/8” bore, 3/8” UNF fittings. 

11 hours ago, Piglet said:

Just been looking. There are so many to choose from yet none look like my Girling one, though I suspect they'll all fit. Can anyone recommend one?

Alex

You have a brake master cylinder fitted (as opposed to a clutch)

The only difference is the size of the resevoir. And the fact brake master cylinders came in several vaieties from all allow to yours, through to a oddball looking thing on the late spitfires. 

A rebuild kit is a fiver or so. Easy to do, and often sorts an issue. I usually hone the bore using fine wire wool and a pencil in a drill (works for me) with a squirt of wd40. Then wash off with brake cleaner (everybody should have tins of break cleaner to hand, great for all sort of things, and can be had for £2 a tin)

Some new master cylinders are not great, and many do not have a normal size bore. Beware "uprated" ones with a bigget bore, they just give a heavier clutch.

For simplicity, teh county one looks a decent bet. I bought a TRW a few years ago, cost double what that county one does. No idea if it will last longer.

Thanks lads! I have ordered the one Josef suggested, best be safe than sorry as I don't want to use a repair kit and then find it still leaks. And it was a bit of a bargain. Last MC I bought was over £200...(not for a Triumph I might add lol)

Alex

• Like 1