Brake Caliper Spitfire mk1

TC1

Hi i need some advice please, i have a mk1 spitfire with a uprated 1.3 engine, just doing some winter servicing and i have noted a front left brake squeal when hot, i am looking at investigating with new brake pads, shims, and probably hoses as well etc however i noticed that both brake calipers are different, front right looks like an original mk1 (type 12)? and the offending brake caliper on the left side looks like a later (type 14)? Ques 1 is this likely to be causing my issue

Ques 2 should i replace it to match the other type 12 caliper (matching pair) or replace it with the currently fitted type 14. ?

Ques 3 Are the fittings different or will the earlier type bolt straight back on again if i get a replacement earlier type ?

Any assistance much appreciated.

I'd check the calipers and confirm types asap; I never liked mismatched units on brakes or suspension. 12s and 14s share the same fittings - bar the front hubs, which should have a chamfered edge as the type 14 caliper is larger - maybe this is the cause of your squealing, the bigger type 14 caliper hitting the hub? 

Photo showDSCF4568.thumb.JPG.51aa32272b93316fa34925594258148c.JPGs a chamfered hub and type 14, if the hub edge is non-chamfered it'll be rubbing here, you can check your hub for shiny witness marks around the outer edge.

mixed is far from a good idea  the pad part numbers are very different between 12 and 14s

i would say it makes sense to have a pair of 14s as there are more pad material/makes available and its a newer design than the 12s

squeal can be so many things from pad material, rust inclusion,shim design,hub end float, disc surface and edge lips  

on replacing the latest stuff is Mintex Ceratec paste  not copaslip

and to upgrade the braking to get real bite go for Mintex 1144  but you must bed them in fully 

12/14 use the same fitting and are too easiliy mixed ,  agree as Colin says you may get a light foul with a 14 on a non machined hub

easy to clear with a angle grinder to relieve the hub diameter 

if the hub is rough as cast for 12s  and machined chamfer for 14s

Pete

hub 002.JPG

check that they are actually type 12 and 14 as there are early and late type 12s early has more material between the mount holes. Type 12 halves are held together by 2 bolts 14 by 4. I would definitely want a matched pair. As Pete says there is a far better choice of pads for the type 14 an if you don't feel like grinding the hubs any used ones from a later spitfire or herald should be easy to acquire. I think the brake shields are different as well but they are easily obtainable for the later cars.