Trimph Herald 13/60 Chassis and Body Colour.

Hi.

Thought i knew the answere but then doubted myself. Bit like a pub quiz where your first thought is normally correct.

I understand that Herald 13/60 chassis should be body colour. ?

The front suspension turrets as well.

All other components wish bones, diff, steering rack etc should be black.   

Sorry for the question but my classic loving mot man put a spanner in my thoughts.

Looked at loads of pictures and seemed to be no consistency as most are of modern paint jobs and a lot of chassis are black.  

To most of you its simple. But only if you know the answere, otherwise the question is hard.

Thanks.

Thank you for the trouble to reply. Appreciated.

My restoration is bubbling along, and the purchase of Rustbuster epoxy primer got me thinking.   

The bulkhead and rear tub are now basically complete, as in my other postings , and im about to commence on the bonnet assembly welding on new wings etc.

The idea will be in the autumn to start a dry assembly on to the chassis and start the alligning process.  In my head i had the idea of painting the underneath and chassis my self at home along with areas like behind the valances, tub over lap joints etc in body colour before a body shop takes over and completes the final prep and spraying.   

I was thinking of somethinh like a synthetic enamel that i could use at home to use in out of sight and hard to spray areas. Assemble the body and let the body shop spray in 2k.

Wondering how others have approched this?

15 minutes ago, Richeee said:

On the Spitfire (the only one I've done a body-off on myself) I didn't bother with originality. The chassis and suspension were all powder-coated in black. The chap who did the body painting masked it up so the chassis remained black. In fairness, I'd already fitted the engine and gearbox, so that was the only sensible option for him.

However, your plan sounds good to me.

51 minutes ago, Richeee said:

On my vitesse I primed , stonechipped and topcpoated the chassis and underside. It was finished in body colour, all cellulose. 

My spitfire, far more recent, I etched, 2k primer and only the underside was stonechipped. Then 2k black for chassis and underside. And inside the car, so when yoiu get a gap in trim/carpet you don't notice!

The dolomite I have just about finished just had localised repairs. I used aerosol etch, brush painted some 2k topcoat (the stuff I bought first which would not shine at all) and then a good coat of Dinitrol hard wax, which is brilliant stuff. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/01/2023 at 08:04, NonMember said:

My understanding was that the chassis and body were mated before painting, so most of the chassis is body colour but some less accessible bits remained black.

I agree with that, when I took my Spitfire off the chasis part of it was indeed black and basically unprotected, now it has had numerous undercoats and a thick brush on top coat.