Superpro bushes.

I have just, nearly, completed a rebush of my Mk1 spitfire using Superpro. I say nearly because I have, so far, failed after a number of attempts to fit the two steering rack bushes.  The poly bushes are 2 to 3 mm wider than the rubber ones and also slightly deeper.  I know that things squish down when tightened but the fact that they are wider puts the U clamp out of position with the holes.   Can the locating plates be repositioned to compensate for this ?  I don't want to alter anything without being sure as I might mess up the steering geometry.  Help please.

I used SuperPro on my 13/60 and they were a tight squeeze; one very important thing is not to pull them into place using the threaded U-bolt over the clamp; it will strip the threads and you'll have to find a replacement. You need to force the clamp outwards on each side, use g-clamps or any type of press that will assist the clamp to get the bush into place, pressing outwards and then downwards and only then tighten the bolt. They will squeeze into place eventually but lots of lubrication, and patience, helps before anything breaks.

IMG_2194copy.jpeg.d926f4753e2e25bd152b820fe874fb88.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You need to force the clamp outwards on each side, use g-clamps or any type of press that will assist the clamp to get the bush into place, pressing outwards and then downwards and only then tighten the bolt.

Note that you actually need to do that with the original rubber ones, too, otherwise the bushes will not be in compression and the rack will have play in it.

5 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Did you guys grease your bushes?

I saw a guy use a type of...er.. um. jelly and Teflon tape to keep his from squeaking..

You get a small tube of lubricant with them; impossible to get any metal tubes to slide in without them. I also used it where there's a fixed attachment ie bottom of the rear shock absorber.

On 09/03/2023 at 16:34, NonMember said:

Note that you actually need to do that with the original rubber ones, too, otherwise the bushes will not be in compression and the rack will have play in it.

Yes but these you have to REALLY press! I mean real Popeye and spinach stuff. Press outwards until the two 'legs' will drop downwards, don't try them at an angle and hope the nuts will pull them down.

• Like 1