Paint Remover

cliff.b

1 hour ago, cliff.b said:

I tried a couple of clear coats and they just destroyed the finish, leaving it looking dull.

1 hour ago, cliff.b said:

It's probably more like the finish of the plastic screen trim.  

That pretty much accords with my experience of "chrome effect" paint. It goes on OK but looks like dull cast aluminium or, if lucky, rough finish stainless. And then it rubs off on anything that touches it. And it pickles if you apply clear coat.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

That pretty much accords with my experience of "chrome effect" paint. It goes on OK but looks like dull cast aluminium or, if lucky, rough finish stainless. And then it rubs off on anything that touches it. And it pickles if you apply clear coat.

Have you ever tried painting over it. Just wondering if it will need to come off if I decide to go back to black 🤔

13 hours ago, NonMember said:

No, sorry, no experience of over-painting it.

No problem, I have spent half of today removing it all again.

Apart from not being totally happy with the way it looks, I felt it is too delicate to use unprotected on a bumper and using anything on it to try and solve that makes it look worse.

It might have been ok but the bumper has been stripped now, new primer applied and will paint over the weekend.

Ok, to update, and for your amusement.

New black pearlescent top coat applied, a can that has been in my garage for several years after it was used to touch up a previous vehicle. All looking good 👍

IMG_20230402_142455_845.thumb.jpg.dd50e0f87f94f9abee7a54aebdd26d35.jpg

So fitted in place and secured with the 4 bolts to the overiders. Then opened the bonnet to fit the other bolts and "scrape", the lower edge of the bonnet removed the new paint in exactly the same place as it was missing when I started this misadventure 🤬.

so clearly this was the problem all along.

After a bit more investigation I could see the bonnet was definitely fouling the bumper but what to do about it 🤔

Then I decided to fit shims between the bonnet and the frame at the front mounting points and that did the job. A 5mm shim gave a couple of mm clearance at the bumper.

IMG_20230404_115232_905.thumb.jpg.5db98bf7e5cc281b1f3e9d3d1e7aba6f.jpg

I will probably do this again with washers later.

Anyway, bonnet now definitely not hitting bumper so a quick repair to the damage using the very last dribble out of the spray can and I think it's ok, at last 👍IMG_20230404_160018_865.thumb.jpg.06c0c340caea29dbd2067fff0bccc95a.jpg

Also note overiders polished up a bit after advice on another thread. Spoiler and grill also treated the same 

21 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Then I decided to fit shims between the bonnet and the frame

Well, that will work. The correct ("official") way to do it is to remove the overriders, loosen the bolts on the hinge boxes, and move the pivot point up in the slot, then re-tighten. I think it's the front bolts (hinge bracket to outer box) that has the vertical adjustment, while fore-aft adjustment is available in the hinge bolts themselves (accessed through holes in the sides of the boxes).

23 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Well, that will work. The correct ("official") way to do it is to remove the overriders, loosen the bolts on the hinge boxes, and move the pivot point up in the slot, then re-tighten. I think it's the front bolts (hinge bracket to outer box) that has the vertical adjustment, while fore-aft adjustment is available in the hinge bolts themselves (accessed through holes in the sides of the boxes).

I thought there must be a correct way to do it lol