Paint Remover

cliff.b

My bumpers have been painted black but it is coming off in various places and what I can see looks to be on good condition. I want to take it all off to see if they are good enough to use unpainted and looking for suggestions as to what to use to strip it all? Obviously, it needs to be chrome friendly

Good chrome is fairly impervious to most things except strong acids, so a paint stripper should be OK.  Here in the US, we can't easily get proper methylene chloride strippers any more, and have to make do with wimpier citrus-based strippers.

Here's an idea--try DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid.

[As always with any experiment--try in an inconspicuous place first]

Ed

Edited by ed.h

6 hours ago, ed.h said:

Good chrome is fairly impervious to most things except strong acids, so a paint stripper should be OK.  Here in the US, we can't easily get proper methylene chloride strippers any more, and have to make do with wimpier citrus-based strippers.

Ed

That's an idea 👍

6 hours ago, ed.h said:

Here in the US, we can't easily get proper methylene chloride strippers any more, and have to make do with wimpier citrus-based strippers.

We might be the same over here, last stuff I tried took ages. I've found, usually the hard way, that everything will remove paint!

Re Cliff's bumpers.. wonder if they were painted for the looks, or because there are rough patches? Only one way to find out, I suppose, but when our bumpers go, they really go.

On 23/03/2023 at 02:48, ed.h said:

Ed

Hmm, a good idea but didn't appear to be any more effective than domestic paint stripper.

There was no noticeable effect on the paint surface whatsoever. I'm thinking there must be some sort of lacquer on top.

just a rattle can aerosol   satin silver/chrome  paint     or similar  nothing special   needs a primer or it wont stick 

turned poor into acceptable  very cheaply   think its lasted around 5 years so far   ive not seen the car this year to see  if im right

Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

just a rattle can aerosol   satin silver/chrome  paint     or similar  nothing special   needs a primer or it wont stick 

turned poor into acceptable  very cheaply   think its lasted around 5 years so far   ive not seen the car this year to see  if im right

Pete

Ok, thanks

As the paint was coming off in several places I decided it probably hadn't keyed to the chrome and have spent the last 3 hours scraping it off, carefully, with a Stanley blade.

IMG_20230324_105901_281.thumb.jpg.1a345a2c03702a0d4362527f71782eb5.jpg

All looking pretty good but I just knew that I would find an issue with the very last bit I uncovered

IMG_20230324_121855_155.thumb.jpg.e1102c9a743cf9b03b0a8d595d716cae.jpg

Filler 😒

4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

It's always the last bit or the last bolt/screw that causes grief.

Stick some aluminium foil over it, nobody will notice 🙄

Hmm, that's tempting, actually lol 

The other consideration though is that the rear one is still black so I will feel compelled to strip that as well and that might be a "basket case" 😱 

Edited by cliff.b
Add text

14 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

anyone used the chrome wrap type of  repairs  or even some powder coat  ???

they seem to cover all odd shapes with the stuff but is it a diy possiblity ??

but a rattle can is so much cheaper for a cosmetic uplift 

Pete

If I do decide to spray it, does standard etch primer adhere to chrome or is there something else required?

Decided I will repaint. Will try the "fake chrome" effect spray first to see what it looks like, but if I'm not happy with it then back to black.

But both need primer so three coats of "etch" primer applied today from a can and looks fairly good, I think 🤔

IMG_20230327_111316_885.thumb.jpg.93b82dfc08d71cb8638f58685c52822a.jpg

4 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Decided I will repaint. Will try the "fake chrome" effect spray first to see what it looks like, but if I'm not happy with it then back to black.

But both need primer so three coats of "etch" primer applied today from a can and looks fairly good, I think 🤔

IMG_20230327_111316_885.thumb.jpg.93b82dfc08d71cb8638f58685c52822a.jpg

That looks like a good job. I’m interested to see the result of the chrome effect spray 

Ordered some of this off eBay. I will be surprised it it looks like the csp does but will be interested to find out.

Screenshot_20230328-1244542.thumb.png.9b8de99adc8e3e9f485f6348bb35fd40.png

Intend to do a bit of test spraying when it arrives before moving on to the bumper. Make sure it is ok with the primer I have used etc.

55 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

it easy to make runs from past use of this type of finish     little and often rules to build up to a shine 

Pete

First test piece, three light coats on top of the primer I used on the bumper. No runs. Definitely not a high chrome finish but more like stainless steel steel at the moment. Tomorrow I will see if anything makes it shinier. More coats, T cut, polish, lacquer?

IMG_20230328_153512_928.thumb.jpg.890f052d2951708320f0f75ea25905cd.jpg

Also, the instructions suggest an optional black gloss coat after the primer which I haven't tried yet. Not sure what difference that will make. I need some more test pieces to experiment on. I'm thinking empty beer cans might be ideal 🤔