Green Flag to the rescue

Out in the GT6 yesterday and having covered about 14 miles with no problem I was a mile from home when it suddenly cut out. Naturally I was in the worst possible place, on a duel carriageway with no hard shoulder and the nearest refuge being 150 yards away, up hill. Checked everything and nothing seemed obvious except no spark at the plugs. Called Green Flag and after five minutes on the phone they advised that I would get a text from their recovery agent so I sat on the armco and waited. No call but a Green Flag van pulled up with me some seven minutes later. He towed me to the safe place and we collectively examined the engine. Fault quickly diagnosed as being the rotor arm. Had a spare set of leads, spare plugs etc with me but no rotor arm. The Green Flag driver ran me home where I found a spare, returned me to the car and then followed me home, just in case. Great service from Green Flag, a very knowledgeable driver / technician who expressed his pleasure at having the chance to work on a "decent car". How's that for great service!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Out in the GT6 yesterday and having covered about 14 miles with no problem I was a mile from home when it suddenly cut out. Naturally I was in the worst possible place, on a duel carriageway with no hard shoulder and the nearest refuge being 150 yards away, up hill. Checked everything and nothing seemed obvious except no spark at the plugs. Called Green Flag and after five minutes on the phone they advised that I would get a text from their recovery agent so I sat on the armco and waited. No call but a Green Flag van pulled up with me some seven minutes later. He towed me to the safe place and we collectively examined the engine. Fault quickly diagnosed as being the rotor arm. Had a spare set of leads, spare plugs etc with me but no rotor arm. The Green Flag driver ran me home where I found a spare, returned me to the car and then followed me home, just in case. Great service from Green Flag, a very knowledgeable driver / technician who expressed his pleasure at having the chance to work on a "decent car". How's that for great service!

Were you on the A419. If so, not the ideal place to break down 🙄

16 hours ago, cliff.b said:

Were you on the A419. If so, not the ideal place to break down

I was on Cirencester Way in Swindon. It is also not a good place to break down. The Green Flag Technician had just recovered another driver to the Formula ! service centre two hundred yards from where I was stranded. It was very lucky on my part that he was so close as rush hour was just kicking off.

1 hour ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

I was on Cirencester Way in Swindon. It is also not a good place to break down. The Green Flag Technician had just recovered another driver to the Formula ! service centre two hundred yards from where I was stranded. It was very lucky on my part that he was so close as rush hour was just kicking off.

Ah yes, I know it well. Definitely not the ideal spot to be stranded.

I shall be heading to North Wales on Tuesday with the Herald pick-up and a trailer. Travelling cross country, so Swindon to Cirencester is on the route. Fingers are crossed!  Should I avoid the roadworks at Birdlip?   

Oil is changed, MOT is passed and trunnions are oiled. A selection of tools will be taken, together with the most important part,  a charged up mobile phone..

Mileage for the trip according to Google is 263 miles. I haven't a clue what MPG to expect, but allowing for about £70 for fuel (E5)

2 hours ago, mark powell said:

I shall be heading to North Wales on Tuesday with the Herald pick-up and a trailer. Travelling cross country, so Swindon to Cirencester is on the route. Fingers are crossed!  Should I avoid the roadworks at Birdlip?   

Oil is changed, MOT is passed and trunnions are oiled. A selection of tools will be taken, together with the most important part,  a charged up mobile phone..

Mileage for the trip according to Google is 263 miles. I haven't a clue what MPG to expect, but allowing for about £70 for fuel (E5)

That sounds like an interesting journey if avoiding all Motorways etc. Very scenic in places 👍

2 hours ago, mark powell said:

Any pic’s of the rig esp Herald pick up

That is not the best place to break down. I lived in W.Bassett and worked in Stratton area . Rush hour traffic can be a bit Manic at the best of times. I’m thinking about getting an aftermarket Hazard light setup for my Vitesse, Do you have one fitted?

Pete

Very ingenious construction 

ref emergency 4 way flashers I’ve fitted the old style Lucas push/pull switch style to both my Mk2 Vitesse and the daughters Mk2 Spitfire dead easy just replace the single bullet connectors as they indicator wires come out of the steering column with dual and push the emergency wiring connectors into them you have to find a live battery wire to power the flashers even when the ignition is off

It took me about 3 hours to install and rewire

• Like 1