Herald/Vitesse Outer Door Glass Weatherstrip

Jon J 1250

Hi,

As the original rubber extruded weatherstrip (between top of door skin and glass) is long since unavailable, are there any opinions as to who supplies the best replacement.
I have seen some badly fitting replacements so want to avoid wasting money on those

The original has a cutaway around the quarterlight frame, which I have never seen on replacements, I guess it is simple job to replicate this by cutting a section out with a knife.

Any assistance welcomed.

Regards
JJ

Edited by Jon J 1250

Part number is 608278 or 608279; many suppliers seem to sell a version at least but even the NOS ones are bound to have suffered over the years. I can't really recommend one supplier over any others but I see one that I use has a 1 star rating for the outer seals - someone wasn't impressed! Trim carefully as they can split over time where cut.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Josef said:

Hah, I never knew there was a fitted version. Have always thought the way it didn’t seat properly around the quarter light was daft though!

Yes, the original weatherstrips looked like this, relatively few cars still have them. The drivers side one on my car has now split.

IMG_4998.jpeg

Were they cut out like that, below the quarterlight? I checked yesterday, listed as 'available to order' but no illustration. Mine have all been trimmed after purchase, some not very well either!

Incidentally that exploded diagram can be confusing; it appears the weatherstrip is in two parts with a short section at the quarterlight. This is actually the metal strip on the inside of the quarterlight, not an extension of the rubber. It has confused me more than once.

Screenshot2023-05-17at11_07_10.png.82a4449406acd1b41705f39274ed7476.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Were they cut out like that, below the quarterlight? I checked yesterday, listed as 'available to order' but no illustration. Mine have all been trimmed after purchase, some not very well either!

Incidentally that exploded diagram can be confusing; it appears the weatherstrip is in two parts with a short section at the quarterlight. This is actually the metal strip on the inside of the quarterlight, not an extension of the rubber. It has confused me more than once.

Screenshot2023-05-17at11_07_10.png.82a4449406acd1b41705f39274ed7476.png

As I understand it, the two piece strip is the inner one, where adjacent to the quarterlight there is only room for the thin metal strip sandwiched between the quarterlight and the top of the inner door shell, so can't have the rubber and felt that the inner glass section has.

The outer weatherstrip is definitely one piece, I tend to favour the idea of the Canley Classics as I feel they mainly focus on the small chassis Triumphs so may pay a bit more attention to detail, even so, I doubt even they have the quarterlight cut out.

Edited by Jon J 1250