Replacement diff for MkII Vitesse

Joel

Hello all. The mounting plate on the diff on my mark 2 has cracked and the spring and bolts have detatched themselves. I've removed the diff and have found one on Ebay from a Mk4 Spit. Will this fit?

"Marked FH so 3.89 from a MK4 but also suitable for some other models"

Spitfire Mk. IV is equivalent, but one caveat, usually the Spitfire Mk. IV casings had 2 of the spring stud holes blanked off (actually something like a crude cut-off bolt/stud). You'll need to either remove these plugs or drill and tap the holes if you want to have all 6 spring mounting studs.

• Like 1

Again, thanks to you all for helping me along with this! The old one is REALLY done! I'm going to have a chat with the Ebay seller and discuss the wear/age issues on the one he's selling but otherwise, it looks like a recon from Rimmers. A grand is a bit steep so if I can drill the 2 extra stud holes, this would be prefereable. 

Thanks to Johny, Pete (as always) Josef and Jumping Frog for the advice and hand holding!!

IMG_20230523_192250.jpg

IMG_20230523_192255.jpg

IMG_20230523_192259.jpg

Wow that is an advert for having all six fixings. However it looks as if its only the rear casing thats damaged and theres nothing important in that part. So if theres nothing wrong with the gears and bearings they can be very easily transferred to another case....

Shoot Mike Papworth an email (details should be in the courier ad or I can send over his email address) before going to Rimmers. He will be able to give you advice, almost certainly supply you with a replacement case, or sell you a recon if that’s what you end up needing. He’s probably rebuilt more TSSC gearboxes and diffs than the whole of this forum membership put together!

It would appear that the studs were re-threaded (or at least two of them were) at some point and a new top plate fitted. I decided to avoid a rebuild as the crown wheel is pretty worn (perhaps the source of a whine over 50 mph?) so contacted Fitechet's who were able to supply a recon. Don't think I'll get anything back from them for the old one though!! Anyone want it?

theres a few things  the pinion brgs are shimmed /collapsible  to get pre load on the pinion brgs

mesh involves setting the mounting distance and backlash to set the pinion aligned with the crownwheel  with shims under the head of the pinion 

the small  backlash/tooth clearance is shim the carrier brgs unless you have some decent measuring equipment its hopeless and easy to make a howler

Pete

• Thanks 1