Drivers side trunnion wear

Hi guys, could do with a bit of help, replaced my track rod ends and top ball joints today (bought through the club shop) all went really well on those. However when checking everything I had done before I dropped drivers side down I spotted excessive wear on trunnion to vertical link. I am gutted to have not spotted this earlier and have read the stories of worn vertical links. I have found a trunnion and a vertical link in some herald spares I got a while ago. How do I find out if these are drivers side parts and usable?? I don't want to buy new if these are good for purpose πŸ‘ thank you in advance πŸ‘

IMG_20230531_184002.jpg

IMG_20230531_183953.jpg

IMG_20230531_183943.jpg

IMG_20230531_183854.jpg

IMG_20230531_183847.jpg

Hi Martin,

I've had a vertical link go, not a pleasant experience! The trunnions are more likely to wear than the VLs, What is your VL like? May not need changing.

The break normally occurs at the top of the thread and you should look here for signs of cracks.Β 

A couple of MOTs ago MOT man said wear in the trunnions, I replaced both trunnions but not the VLs and MOT man was happy. VLs were OK.

If one trunnion is worn, the other is also likely worn.

When my VL broke 40 years ago I did both sides, new VLs, new trunnions.

I wouldn't trust an old spare VL, not worth the risk, but that's just me, someone who's had one break!Β 

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

Hi Doug,

Thanks for getting back to me with some great advice. I will be busy with a few things over the next few days but will definitely report back on the VL condition. The vitesse has been looked after very well by the previous 2 owners and is very original so I would love to save as much of the original parts as possible (hoping it's just the trunnion) I have put the spare VL in the scrap bucket with the old Trackrods and top ball joints from yesterday πŸ‘

Thanks for your help it's really appreciated πŸ‘

Best regards

Martin

14 hours ago, Martin mon said:

Hi guys, could do with a bit of help, replaced my track rod ends and top ball joints today (bought through the club shop) all went really well on those. However when checking everything I had done before I dropped drivers side down I spotted excessive wear on trunnion to vertical link. I am gutted to have not spotted this earlier and have read the stories of worn vertical links. I have found a trunnion and a vertical link in some herald spares I got a while ago. How do I find out if these are drivers side parts and usable?? I don't want to buy new if these are good for purpose πŸ‘ thank you in advance πŸ‘

The trunnions are designed to wear much before the VL so unless its done huge mileage with multiple trunnion changes the thread should be ok (corrosion damage/cracks is another matter). Also there will always be some play in them and this isnt noticeable in driving so dont be too zealous and remember the old original part is sometimes better than modern pattern replacement...

The trunnions may be fine but to me, those threads on the VL are on their last legs, so if you've binned it I reckon that's the right thing to do. It's something you need to think about when you're doing 60 along the road, although they usually do break at low speeds when turning.Β 

New threads are quite sharp; this one in my photo snapped off at the top of the trunnion, which is where the oil stops and the wear begins.

DSCF1661.thumb.JPG.0cb291952da43abe8347621416a298cb.JPG

DSCF1659.JPG

Thanks guys πŸ‘ I will give the VL a very good look over when stripped in a couple of days. I just ordered the trunnion bush kit and spare nut and bolt with fingers crossed VL is still in decent condition for a good cheap fix πŸ‘Β 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johny said:

Trouble is to unscrew trunnion to inspect VL or change trunnion I believe involves taking of the calipers, then the disc/hub unit and finally the disc guard. Not difficult but a pain just for an inspection!

Yes, the trunnion won't rotate fully with the brake disc shield on. A faff of a job, but worth doing for peace of mind.

Managed to find time to strip entire hub arrangement on Saturday and found VL to be in one piece without any major wear and no cracks. The trunnion threads were almost none existent and the cause of the excess play. Tested for movement with new trunnion and it was spot on πŸ‘ wierdley as I wound the old trunnion off it only took 13 full turns to take off but the VL would take at least two extra turns with the new one and still achieve a conservative and comfortable full lock so the new one was screwed up those extra turns which worked a treat πŸ‘

Vitesse back on the road and many thanks everyone πŸ‘

58 minutes ago, Martin mon said:

Managed to find time to strip entire hub arrangement on Saturday and found VL to be in one piece without any major wear and no cracks. The trunnion threads were almost none existent and the cause of the excess play. Tested for movement with new trunnion and it was spot on πŸ‘ wierdley as I wound the old trunnion off it only took 13 full turns to take off but the VL would take at least two extra turns with the new one and still achieve a conservative and comfortable full lock so the new one was screwed up those extra turns which worked a treat πŸ‘

Vitesse back on the road and many thanks everyone πŸ‘

Sounds like it had suffered lack of maintenance or grease rather than oil? As said other side probably had same treatment😩

49 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Don't want to be a prophet of doom but, I'd have a look at the one on the other side. I've always replaced them in pairs.

Doug

Thanks Doug I will definitely do that. Passed the bar under the tyre test with flying colours when jacked up but totally agree it's a job to do to see it in the flesh. I am doing the brake fluid change soon so will take that opportunity along with changing the brake flexi hoses πŸ‘ let's just hope those bleed nipples ain't seized in the callipers.........that's alway fun.......

• Like 1