Gasket Paper

DJB350Z

Evening,

I've been thinking about whether or not I need to use gasket paper when reassembling my door hinges, striker plates and such like.

Upon removal only my striker plates had gasket paper behind them.

So, what is the rationale for fitting them? Is it only to assist with gaps, or keeping out moisture, to protect the paint or something else?

I've been considering getting sheets of gasket paper and making my own over buying the replacements as it seems potentially more cost effective. The sheets however come in different gauges ranging from 0.4mm to 2mm, so I'm not sure what I'd pick for the best.

Thanks

I guess many cars have run around gasketless with no adverse consequences. But they are a good idea for the reasons mentioned above.

The relatively chunky gasket behind the striker plate can be a helpful part of getting the rear-of-door alignemnt right and getting a nice (fore-aft) position of the plate such that latching of the door catch is smooth and not all clunky/bangy. On my GT6 I needed a thick (e.g. 2mm) gasket and a bespoke aluminium shim (1.2mm) to get it just right.

Gaskets on the hinge faces don't influence door alignment much; but a reasonably tough gasket (e.g. cornflake packet thickness) does a lot to help not damaging the paint during the often long-winded process of repeated door adjustment.

As an aside; fitting up GT6 doors just-so can really be a trial because not only door the door itself has to be right but also the quarterlight and drop glass. It's not so much fitting the door as loving into position (?!)

I think the thick gasket on the striker plate helps the plate, seat and grip to the body so less likely to move as the door is open and shut  and any movement caused by flexing of the tub, especially Herald Vitesse convertibles. Same goes for the door hinge gaskets.

Edited by Mark B

Thanks for the replies and also link to the paper gaskets @Ian Foster.

9 hours ago, chrishawley said:

As an aside; fitting up GT6 doors just-so can really be a trial because not only door the door itself has to be right but also the quarterlight and drop glass. It's not so much fitting the door as loving into position (?!)

Ah. I hadn't considered trial fitting the door with the glass in place. Makes sense. All the glass was removed from my doors when I bought it so the quick test fits I've been doing have been just the door by itself.