Ideas for extra Spit Mk3 performance

moretonjr_4430

Hi folks, recently my 1968 Spit Mk3 feels sluggish at times and almost feels as though it's 'missing' during the initial period of accerleration.  The points and coil are getting on in age and the sparks were replaced a few years ago but I don't do much mileage per year (max 1,000).  The fuel filter needs changing.  Someone suggested switching to a good quality electronic points to give the spark more punch (even I have never had any starting issues).  Any suggestions to get a bit more umph?

No particular experience of MK 3 but they are supposed to be more punchy than others,I would suggest getting everything optimised would be a good start, points, condenser, timing, carbs setup etc. Should be emminently driveable. Dont start throwing "upgrades" at it as you will end up going backwards.

Mine don`t like it if you don`t use them so I would always recommend more use if possible.

Steve

Use 97+ Fuel  set timming to factory spec dont use plugs with an R suffix 

dont buy any silly upgrade till the basics are as triumph intended  

most modern plugs do not like choke operations that carbs have to use  its quite possible the lack of use that the ceramic inside is stuffed 

and the plugs you think look ok actually have failed it happens a lot these days 

have browse at 

Thanks for the thought/comments; all very useful and much along the lines I was thinking.  New sparks is a definate and condenser.  The point have never let me down - so far.

MX5 is a good suggestion but I couldn't bring myself to part with the Spit.

Steve P; the Mk3 has a good engine and has punch but you're totaly right about using the car more.

Thanks