Vitesse Hood Fitting Instructions

Hi again Martyn

Here's a link to some useful tips from the Club Triumph Website

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj7is3VzaT_AhWMgVwKHfAPDWoQrAIoAHoECBwQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.clubtriumph.co.uk%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F1289-hood-fitting%2F&usg=AOvVaw0poTMQM-X-K67xrwph0JUd

I've fitted a couple with varying degree's of success, its advisable to unfold the hood and lay it out in a warm room or in the sun first for a day or so.

When fitting it's easier/better to do the work on a hot day as the Vinyl will be more supple and easier to stretch to remove creases

Start by making sure your hood frame is in good condition and fits well with regards to the side windows (Even gaps all the way around of about 1" if  remember correctly before the seals and retainers are fitted) I would advise getting new Aluminium Seal retainers (3 Pieces per side) and new 'J' Shaped rubber seals, a new seal for the front is advisable too.

Start at the rear making sure the hood is central before making any holes and that it looks like it will fit the sides above the door windows correctly (I've seen hoods both too narrow and too wide in this area) if that's the case you have no chance  of getting it to fit correctly

Another pair of hands to Hold, stretch the fabric and assist is advisable, a good contact adhesive is a must too together with a rivet gun and 1/8" rivets will be needed for some of the poppers together with the correct size self tapers for some of the finishers and seal retaining channels.

I also used some 3.5mm Countersunk type Switch/Socket screws/nuts/washers for some of the hood poppers 

There was an article in one of the TSSC Courier magazines a few years ago and Practical Classic magazine also did a feature on fitting one to a Herald they restored but this was 30+ years ago!

You need to try and get the tension correct to remove as many creases as possible, getting the rear quarter light windows to fit crease free is very difficult to do.

Here's a couple of photo's of what my Mohair hood looked like when fitted (Done by The Don Trimming Co. though in Brum) so I can't take any credit

Good luck

Gary

PS - I've sent you a PM regarding the Hood Finisher you wanted

VHP With D1's.JPG

01010031.JPG

Edited by Gary Flinn

I am in the process of fitting a new hood to my herald. The first job is sorting out the frame to try to get a better fit around the windows.
I never realised how many moveable joints there are on the hood frame, the design is quite complex. Most on my car are seized and I think I will end up taking all the joints apart to free them before I can get the frame correct.

Mike

Yep!  I also had to take the Hood Frame apart!  Rub down and Paint it! Clean and white grease the movable parts and bend the damaged/bent parts back in line. Drill out the damaged screws in the Header Rail and fit new. Lol!  This Vitesse hasn't been on the road since 1985!  Put Windscreen in this morning!

IMAG0032 vitesse barn find.jpg

20201031_112219.jpg

just opened my Don hood that I brought  from TSSC last year and it has a very small bit of paper with instructions on. Will post a copy later also had a small bag with the poppers in it. As its so small it would be easy to throw it away with the box.

mike

On 03/06/2023 at 09:45, martyn wright said:

Hi!  Anyone have a photo of the Header rail Plastic seal and how it fits onto the hood??

will take a photo later. It fits over the front edge of the header rail over the hood material and is held in place under the metal rail that holds the header seal.

mike

1 hour ago, mpbarrett said:

just opened my Don hood that I brought  from TSSC last year and it has a very small bit of paper with instructions on. Will post a copy later also had a small bag with the poppers in it. As its so small it would be easy to throw it away with the box.

mike

image.thumb.jpeg.8b60ca843a8fccf1c9be91c9c00a9f49.jpeg

Hi!  Don Hoods just  emailed me a copy of the Instructions?  Not a lot of use!!  I'm only able to do small jobs on the car as I have been ill!  My concentration is minimum at present. so looking back through the "Courier" Mags is not an option.  Its taken me 3 days to fit up the Hood Frame LOL!

15 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Hi All!  The Retainer Screws for the Alloy Weather and Rubber strip are showing as PTO 453 but are discontinued?  But there is no info on what Size etc they are?  Can anyone help please?

Cheers Martyn

I am using SS countersank head screws. The holes in the header never seem to line up with the seal retaining piece and if they do the holes are often enlarged.

image.thumb.jpeg.ce2c1e91eea8429b6e712403a66909bf.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.cefbca16d4777f89a6e72c43a9b32324.jpeg

18 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Hi All!  The Retainer Screws for the Alloy Weather and Rubber strip are showing as PTO 453 but are discontinued?  But there is no info on what Size etc they are?  Can anyone help please?

Cheers Martyn

Flat head screws with flat washer on the inside. Could use a 4mm  pan head screw, washer  and nut.

Martyn

ANG Parts list one on E-Bay for the Spitfire as link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374316907421?hash=item572706bb9d:g:HKQAAOSwhGtjU-JX

It may be worth an e-mail to see if they do one for the Herald/Vitesse or you may be able to make the Spitfire one fit, if your struggling to find the specific one for the Herald/Vitesse range?

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn

I have this one a few extra holes and some damage at the ends, need some TLC  but useable but no serious rust. Let me know if you want it and I can post it to you. 
You can have it for the cost of the postage.

cheers

mike

image.thumb.jpeg.2b1d67d2bd1c186c58de352989d14993.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ef1d0d4e8db8e0105a886d971dabeff7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6931a2c0216ca1b22baf80dc4e80aff6.jpeg