Vitesse Hood Fitting Instructions

21 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Update!   "Chic" has a Very Good Second hand one at £28.50!  So I've gone for it! Yeh!  Thanks everyone for the input!!  I have been trying to get thro to him for weeks lol

perfect!

mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2023 at 14:00, Gary Flinn said:

Here's a couple of photo's of what my Mohair hood looked like when fitted (Done by The Don Trimming Co. though in Brum) so I can't take any credit

Gary,

Your hood looks great, nice and tight all round and what I hope to finish with 🤞.

To help I wondered if you could post a photo showing the location of the two rear chrome trims in relation to the seams on the mohair hood?

In particular is the lower trim located above the hood edge seam and is the upper trim located above/below/on the horizontal seam?

An area I am worried about is above the door windows as it would appear it can only be tensioned front to back as there is no sideways fixing in this area. I have heard some people use velcro in this area? Yours looks so good here did the fitter add any additional restraint?

Thanks in advance

19 hours ago, Phil C said:

Gary,

Your hood looks great, nice and tight all round and what I hope to finish with 🤞.

To help I wondered if you could post a photo showing the location of the two rear chrome trims in relation to the seams on the mohair hood?

In particular is the lower trim located above the hood edge seam and is the upper trim located above/below/on the horizontal seam?

An area I am worried about is above the door windows as it would appear it can only be tensioned front to back as there is no sideways fixing in this area. I have heard some people use velcro in this area? Yours looks so good here did the fitter add any additional restraint?

Thanks in advance

Hi Phil

I'm afraid I sold the car way back in 2015?

I know the top stainless trim fitted above the window is supposed to cover the seam/joint on the Original Vinyl hoods.

With the lower one, yes I believe it is fitted above the edge seam.

I will see if I have any more close up photo's but I don't think I have

When I purchased the Hood my intention was to fit it myself with the help of a mate who owned several convertibles in the past and he'd done a couple of Vinyl hood swops previously, however we found the hood to have been manufactured too wide, the tops of the Door windows caught on the hood sides!

I raised the issue with the Don Trimming Co. and they told me to book the car in with them and they sorted it for me FOC

There are no additional restraints or Velcro fitted on my old Vitesse above the door windows, Velcro is a good idea and is fitted as standard to a number of cars including the 1960's Alpines/Tigers

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • Thanks 1

On 29/06/2023 at 11:36, Gary Flinn said:

the tops of the Door windows caught on the hood sides!

Gary, many thanks for your replies.

I thought the lower trim should be above the edge seam as the mohair is quite thick here and it would be difficult to do anything else. My hood has a removable rear window which I think necessitates the upper trim to be above the seam. Again the mohair seam is too thick to fit the trim on it. Might have to adjust the hood frame to suit here.

Your comment re the width and doors is interesting as mine appears to be the same. I need a second pair of hands to check it properly but it does appear  to be the case. Did Don hoods get the original to fit or did they remanufacture another?

I am beginning to move more towards getting professional help!!! 😩

3 hours ago, Phil C said:

Gary, many thanks for your replies.

I thought the lower trim should be above the edge seam as the mohair is quite thick here and it would be difficult to do anything else. My hood has a removable rear window which I think necessitates the upper trim to be above the seam. Again the mohair seam is too thick to fit the trim on it. Might have to adjust the hood frame to suit here.

Your comment re the width and doors is interesting as mine appears to be the same. I need a second pair of hands to check it properly but it does appear  to be the case. Did Don hoods get the original to fit or did they remanufacture another?

I am beginning to move more towards getting professional help!!! 😩

Don hoods had the car in their Fitting Workshop for nearly a whole day to get it fitting without catching, I have no idea if it was removed and modified though but it was the original hood supplied by them.

If you look closely at the sides on my old Vitesse it is still overlapping more than an original hood, but it didn't catch the tops of the Door windows when closing so I wasn't bothered by this

One the the hardest things to eliminate is creases in the rear quarter lights on the Herald/Vitesse hoods, if you look at original press photo's when the cars where new you can see it can be done with the original Vinyl Hoods

If you've purchased the Hood off Don Trimming I would call them and see what they say?

Gary    

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/06/2023 at 11:36, Gary Flinn said:

There are no additional restraints or Velcro fitted on my old Vitesse above the door windows, Velcro is a good idea and is fitted as standard to a number of cars including the 1960's Alpines/Tigers

That's very interesting that Roots used Velcro as standard. I've often thought of trying that myself, as the hood design is a bit crap, although not as bad as Spits and TR's, which just funnels all the rain down the inside of the windows. I've never understood the 'logic' of that...

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the logic is if the glass a was inside the hood you cant open the doors with the glass up !!!   

Yes, understand that Pete, but if they had fitted side rails that sat on top of the glass as per Herald/Vit it would'nt be an issue!

22 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

c o Baines is the only maker of just about any profile you will ever need and lots of other stuff too.

might take a search through all their extrusions and profiles but you get good service and help   Classic Cars - Rubber Seal Supplier for Your Classic Car (coh-baines.co.uk)

Just been browsing their web site, I can see the side/window profile Ok. but the one designated "Header Rail" bears no resemblance to that which came off the car?. It appears to lack the "ears" that lock it into the rail? (Canley drawing, 61/609366). The one for the TR/Spit looks more like the profile?.

What do you think?.

Pete

On 30/07/2023 at 10:41, PeteH said:

Just been browsing their web site, I can see the side/window profile Ok. but the one designated "Header Rail" bears no resemblance to that which came off the car?. It appears to lack the "ears" that lock it into the rail? (Canley drawing, 61/609366). The one for the TR/Spit looks more like the profile?.

What do you think?.

Pete

The seal shown on the Baines website is very similar to the one I fitted on my car, however it isn't the same as the originals

It will rely on being a tight fit in the 'U' shaper Header rail channel and may need persuading into position with a blunt tool, I used a Blunt wood chisel if I remember correctly

It stayed in place and kept the rain out? 

Gary      

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

The seal shown on the Baines website is very similar to the one I fitted on my car, however it isn't the same as the originals

It will rely on being a tight fit in the 'U' shaper Header rail channel and may need persuading into position with a blunt tool, I used a Blunt wood chisel if I remember correctly

It stayed in place and kept the rain out? 

Gary      

Was that from Baines?. No one else seems to have one currently, Cannley only show "NLA, to order only"?. If it works, I`ll go for it even if it needs assisting with adhesive.

Pete

4 hours ago, PeteH said:

Was that from Baines?. No one else seems to have one currently, Cannley only show "NLA, to order only"?. If it works, I`ll go for it even if it needs assisting with adhesive.

Pete

Pete

This is similar to the seal I fitted on my Convertible several years ago

https://coh-baines.co.uk/collections/classic-cars/products/black-epdm-u-channel-16mm-wide-x-15mm-high-srs155

I think I got mine from Canley Classics though back then?

James Paddocks shows the seal too

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjig5PH0b2AAxUWXUEAHQRbANIQFnoECBQQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jamespaddock.co.uk%2Fseal-front-hood-3&usg=AOvVaw28IsHoKuGF_2jMuV8-hSZP&opi=89978449

You shouldn't need glue, mine was a tight fit in the 'U' Channel and stayed in place

Regards

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Pete

This is similar to the seal I fitted on my Convertible several years ago

https://coh-baines.co.uk/collections/classic-cars/products/black-epdm-u-channel-16mm-wide-x-15mm-high-srs155

I think I got mine from Canley Classics though back then?

James Paddocks shows the seal too

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjig5PH0b2AAxUWXUEAHQRbANIQFnoECBQQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jamespaddock.co.uk%2Fseal-front-hood-3&usg=AOvVaw28IsHoKuGF_2jMuV8-hSZP&opi=89978449

You shouldn't need glue, mine was a tight fit in the 'U' Channel and stayed in place

Regards

Gary

Cheers, that`s the one I was looking at. I just have to carefully re-measure the length.

Pete