Universal couplings

DougieM

Pretty difficult to overfill the diff as it comes back out of the filler hole so would be pretty messy! However Im not really sure what happened in your case - you removed the quarter shaft one side and oil came out, you replaced it and took out the other quarter shaft but no oil came out until you took the filler plug out🤪Obviously having the car jacked up will alter oil levels in the diff but I cant think of anything that would explain this situation....

The tendency is to overfill by pumping oil in then replacing the filler plug quickly before it runs out, instead of letting it level out. In your case the bottom of the halfshaft bearings are above the filler hole, so remove one, the oil will drop to the level of the halfshaft opening then stop. On removing the other halfshaft, the oil is at the same level as opposite, so no more loss. Removing the oil filler plug will then release the remaining oil as it's lower. Sounds like a theory, anyway.

Edited by Colin Lindsay
worst keyboard in the world

I couldn’t figure out how to overfill it unless car was jacked up on one side when it was done but even then, not as much as I got out. I have oil so I’ll op some in just to make sure it runs back out and not assume it’s right. I’d estimate I got 1/2 a litre of oil into the tub between what came out the shafts and filler plug. Add that to what’s lying on my drive which started all this and it’s a lot of extra oil. 

one shaft to go on brakes to bleed, handbrake to adjust and should be good to go. Crankshaft seal behind fan to tackle next then fingers crossed she’s ‘oil tight’! 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

On 19/06/2023 at 06:54, johny said:

yes they seem to vary as Ive had some easier than others but theres no need for Triumph to have made the fit so tight as the bearing is retained by a circlip anyway!

Had this issue with gearbox shaft/bearing. I wonder if the machining isn't always accurate (tool, or operator) on the shafts?. I assume the bearing itself would not be out of spec, if not a cheap one?

Also, thanks Johny and Colin, for back plate info

All back together brakes bled and went a run for a few miles listening intently and all seems good. More importantly no oil leak from the diff!🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉. Thanks to all for the shared wisdom. Even got all the oil of the drive using No Nonsense heavy duty cleaner from Screwfix so my wife isn’t unhappy. She isn’t happy that I have a car that always needs something done. She doesn’t see the point! 🙄

Edited by DougieM
Mistype