Oil filter query.

Puglet1

How can a simple task become so confusing?

I have removed my old style oil filter which also has a oil cooler adapter fitted. As you can see in the photo below there is a “squarish” shaped O ring in a circular recess. Is this correct? If not does anyone have any suggestions?

My next concern is with the filter housing. Should it have a small seal between the housing and the bolt head? (There isn’t an external seal on mine) The one on my car looks like a nut on the outside but I am unable to undo it from a long stud that is inside of the filter. It also appears to have either a seal or fibre washer on the inside which I cannot access as the internal studding also will not separate.

I have attached photos hoping that someone has come across this concern before.IMG_0315.thumb.jpeg.0e921282714c12d30c542a52b9237a29.jpegIMG_0320.thumb.jpeg.0ae7103955be1cea0de0ef5ca4d0d493.jpegIMG_0316.thumb.jpeg.08ac0bb276ab7bb49dda463f35987574.jpegIMG_0317.thumb.jpeg.2d1090997701fcbeb4afa5f2cc5623d9.jpeg

The free to download workshop manual has a sectioned diagram of the filter housing. Although not exactly the same as yours it shows a seal up inside the head of the fixing bolt plus the misshapen o ring looks as if it has to seal against the block. On yours both of these look like they should be replaced and indeed I think a flat section rubber washer of the right thickness would be better in place of the o ring...  

of course I reckon that lump on the bolt in the photos is an extender to allow for the increased depth of the assembly with the oil cooler take off... 

The other thing to ask is if the oil cooler is really necessary - does its thermostat actually open to allow cooling of the oil? Always makes me a bit nervous the idea of taking oil outside of the engine in hoses etc🤔

Thats what I thought Pete and what the manual shows but as weve seen before theres two types of original filter holders and as per Pauls diagram in this one the seal sits in a recess in the top of the case and you can just see it in the photo...

Pete L, johny, and 68vitesse. 
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I will get back to it later. Thinking about it, I have nothing to lose by heating up the extension before attempting to undo it again.  
Pete.

13 minutes ago, Puglet1 said:

Thinking about it, I have nothing to lose by heating up the extension before attempting to undo it again.

I would have though decent stilsons best to undo the extension piece. The jaws should bite into it as it cant be hardened and not crush it like a vice might...

The plot thickens!

I applied heat to the nut on the outside of the housing thinking it would screw off. It looks like it could have been brazed on. I am now going down the route of trying to get a second hand canister. 🤞

Pete.

I wonder if we're talking about the same bits? You have a bolt, item 2 in Pauls diagram, and onto the threaded end of that an extender sleeve has been screwed so the extra thickness of the oil cooler adaptor can be accomodated. If you get a stilson onto the sleeve and a spanner onto the bolt head they should unscrew...

Hi johny. Definitely not as described in Pauls diagram. I shall attach more photos. As you can see , the canister had a nut head attached but when I heated it - it came off and was not threaded to the post. 
I have now applied heat to the oil cooler Extender and finally managed to remove it. I think the threads on the original bolt explains why I couldn’t get it undone with stilsons in the vice. 
Thankfully, it looks like the threads inside the Extender are salvageable.

IMG_0322.jpeg

IMG_0320.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

14 minutes ago, johny said:

but why did the head of the bolt have to come off? Surely once the extender is undone the bolt will pull out as per the diagram?

I initially tried to undo the extender but as you can see by the state of the bolt- it was seized solid.

My immediate thought was to undo the outer nut and replace the small seal. Unfortunately when the nut came off it had no thread inside of it (zoom in on the photo to see what I mean) so I guess it was brazed on.
At this stage my focus was to remove the extender from the bolt.
To achieve this, it needed the full length of the bolt being clamped in the vice, Oxy Acetylene used on the extender, Plus excessive force for the full length of the thread until it finally came off.

wow surprising when its been immersed in oil the whole time!  And yes I guess the head was brazed on because it would be easier to do that than machine a large bar - the flange is probably brazed on the same. I take it after all this your doing away with the cooler take off adaptor?

Johny.

I shall re-tap the thread inside of the extender and if ok I will source an O ring and keep the adapter. This is based on having really good oil pressure at the moment so the cooler doesn’t seem to have done any harm.

15 minutes ago, Puglet1 said:

I shall re-tap the thread inside of the extender and if ok I will source an O ring and keep the adapter. This is based on having really good oil pressure at the moment so the cooler doesn’t seem to have done any harm.

ok but I recommend checking the thermostat is actually working as like any wax operated device they dont last forever plus of course a cooler does cause a certain reduction in your oil pressure...

9 minutes ago, Puglet1 said:

So. Maybe I am going down the wrong route with my decision.

What do you guys have on your cars?

Oil coolers?

Spin on filters?

Is there plenty of clearance when fitting a non oil cooler spin on adapter?

Pete.

Mk2 Vitesse , spin on filter , no oil Cooler 

Paul 

58 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Mk2 Vitesse , spin on filter , no oil Cooler 

Paul 

Thanks Paul. Is there plenty of clearance between the brake pipe, Oil pressure release valve, oil pressure switch and pressure pipe to gauge?

Is it easy to spin the filter off without any tools?

Do you have any photos of it on car?

Pete.

Same on my mk1 but cant say a filter change is a piece of cake as I have got it in the most downward position possible. I have to thread on a strap type filter clamp to get it undone and theres usually a little oil spilt although much less than I imagine would be with the original set up...