Oil filter query.

Puglet1

10 minutes ago, johny said:

Same on my mk1 but cant say a filter change is a piece of cake as I have got it in the most downward position possible. I have to thread on a strap type filter clamp to get it undone and theres usually a little oil spilt although much less than I imagine would be with the original set up...

Thanks johny.

I’m now wondering whether I should remove the oil cooler?

It just seems like a bit of a backwards step to me.

I’m hoping others will also give their opinions on the oil cooler?

Many thanks. 
Pete.

1 minute ago, Puglet1 said:

Thanks johny.

I’m now wondering whether I should remove the oil cooler?

It just seems like a bit of a backwards step to me.

I’m hoping others will also give their opinions on the oil cooler?

Many thanks. 
Pete.

well I certainly wouldnt buy one unless I was racing but if youve already got it and it works then maybe keep it? However check no oil passes through it to the cooler when cold (blow through it?) and also that the cooler inlet hose is well hot after a good run...

The general consensus on here in the past is that the 1500 Spitfire engines benefit from a thermostatically controlled oil coller, but for general road use the other Triumph engines don't warrant them.

I got rid of the spin on conversion on my GT6 as the various clearances were too much of a pain - returned to the original canister.

Gully 

I suppose one way to decide is checking the oil sump temperature as this is the oil that will be sent to the cooler. It seems this oil should be above 100ºc for optimum operation so after a good run you could use an IR thermometer to measure sump surface temp or even see if water boils on it then if not you dont need a cooler...

1 hour ago, Gully said:

The general consensus on here in the past is that the 1500 Spitfire engines benefit from a thermostatically controlled oil coller, but for general road use the other Triumph engines don't warrant them.

I got rid of the spin on conversion on my GT6 as the various clearances were too much of a pain - returned to the original canister.

Gully 

Hi Gully. That’s interesting. Can you tell me who manufactured your spin on conversion or where it was purchased? The logic of removing my oil cooler and fitting a spin on conversion seems good but I am also concerned about clearances.

Pete.

Pete why not just try the original filter housing without the cooler adaptor to see how that works out rather than getting a spin on and finding you want to keep the cooler? If all good you can consider a spin on conversion later...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johny said:

Pete why not just try the original filter housing without the cooler adaptor to see how that works out rather than getting a spin on and finding you want to keep the cooler? If all good you can consider a spin on conversion later...

Trouble with you johny is you’re too logical 🙂. Yes, at the moment I am waiting for an original housing to arrive so as you say - I can go step by step 👍

3 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Hi Gully. That’s interesting. Can you tell me who manufactured your spin on conversion or where it was purchased? The logic of removing my oil cooler and fitting a spin on conversion seems good but I am also concerned about clearances.

Pete.

Mine was a Mocal adaptor plate. The clearances on the GT6 are tighter than the Vitesse and I ended up having to remove the plate to take the spin-on filter off of it, which rather defeated the object! After a couple of oil changes and a dodgy batch of filters which wouldn't seal properly onto the adaptor, I fitted the original canister filter set-up. I did consider moving the oil pressure switch to another position along the oil galleries to gain space to change the filter angle, but removing a convenient blanking plug that probably hadn't shifted in almost 50 years defeated me!

Gully

13 minutes ago, Gully said:

Mine was a Mocal adaptor plate. The clearances on the GT6 are tighter than the Vitesse and I ended up having to remove the plate to take the spin-on filter off of it, which rather defeated the object! After a couple of oil changes and a dodgy batch of filters which wouldn't seal properly onto the adaptor, I fitted the original canister filter set-up. I did consider moving the oil pressure switch to another position along the oil galleries to gain space to change the filter angle, but removing a convenient blanking plug that probably hadn't shifted in almost 50 years defeated me!

Gully

Hi Gully. It’s good to know that the GT6 / Vitesse dimensions differ. I will probably try the original style filter when it arrives from Mick Dolphin. If I’m not happy with it then I can try the spin on option.

Pete.