Gearbox died…

Josef

IMG_0247.thumb.jpeg.c610da5c90e440963a64f669d7e6d036.jpegHad a good run down to the midlands and met a few classics along the way (photos to follow!). Then lost gear shift functions turning on to the A444 the morning after… On my way back home in a tow truck right now. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Josef said:

Yeah I think it’s gearbox internal I’m afraid Andy. I’ve got enough bits that hopefully any cost will be gaskets regardless. Just can’t really be bothered with taking the box out!

Hope it's nothing serious but it is a faff taking the box out. I've learned the hard way, with restorations, not to build up the entire interior before testing as all those lovely new seals and fixtures have to come out again once a fault is found on the road, and they never go back the same way twice.

• Like 1

Simple, kind of, quick, not at all! I have the gearbox back together now but it’s taken most of the day. I thought it was possible to get the 3/4 hub off with the main shaft in situ (might be it is with a 3 synchro box?) but it isn’t so I had to take everything apart. Oh well. The other casualty of the trip was the crankshaft oil seal. It was drippy before, but now oil is pouring out. So with the gearbox out I’d better deal with it…