Hazard warning light kit installation

Robin

Just bought a kit from Moss (GSS159) for my vitesse . The purple wire needs to go to a constant live but the wire itself isn't long enough to reach the battery or solenoid so can it go on the live terminal on the ignition? 

No reason not to take it from the ignition switch.  Looking at

you could also piggy-back off of the light switch feed.

Or you can just grab another bit of wire and some bullet connectors and extend the switch's purple wire so it reaches where-ever you want.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjit said:

No reason not to take it from the ignition switch.  Looking at

you could also piggy-back off of the light switch feed.

Or you can just grab another bit of wire and some bullet connectors and extend the switch's purple wire so it reaches where-ever you want.

That's great - thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - another question. I need to extend all of the cables from the new switch . The purple power cable has a 30 amp in line fuse fitted. Can I use 14/O.3 cables to extend the existing cables including the purple power one? If not what gauge cables should I use?

4 hours ago, chrishawley said:

14/0.3 (assuming standard cable as opposed to thin-wall) is good for about 8 amps continuous. Hazard flasher circuit is about 8 amp at peak. So that would be fine.

Thanks Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting fit the hazard warning kit but I'me very confused about the Moss fitting instructions which I think are the same as the club's.

No 1. This is fine - I'll fit the purple wire directly to the battery and then find a suitable earth under the dash.

No 2. From my ignition switch I have 1 x brown, 1 x white/red and 3 x white wires running into the loom and I think there's 2 white wires running to the fuse box on the bulkhead. The flasher unit has green/pink in terminal P , green/brown in terminal L and green in terminal x (which I think is also called 'B'. So which wire should I disconnect and from where? 

No 3. The wires going into the flasher unit are sealed i.e. they don't have any visible connectors so do I cut the green wire going into terminal B (X) and fit a double bullet connector for the new green/purple wire or can I splice this new wire in using a scotch lock?  The second green/purple wire needs to be joined to the 'feed wire' on tech flasher unit - which  is the feed wire?

Sorry if this is all a bit obvious - it's just not to me!

image.thumb.jpeg.279b9f5932e93a69ed40a4ce8f82fbf0.jpeg

Flasher unit.jpg

I'm no expert on electrics so apologies for any errors but: part 2, disconnect the wire that goes to the B flasher unit terminal, regardless of colour. Pull your connector off the flasher unit, identify the terminal marked B, and trace the corresponding input on your plug-in to whichever wire comes off from the other side of it.

It appears you then take one of the green / purple wires from the hazard switch and connect it to this terminal and the other green / purple to the end of the cable you've just removed; with a connector like yours, not just a simple spade terminal as in cars like the Herald, you may need to cut into the cable an inch or two back and loop the switch into it at either end of the cut by soldering / other connector. (I like heatshrink for jobs like these to strengthen the joint and keep dirt out)

Then at the column stalk, follow the green wire to the bullet connector joint at the steering column. If it's a single bullet connector replace it with a double and connect / piggyback the green / white wire from the switch into the green /white circuit for one side of the car indicators, and the plain green switch wire into the green / red circuit for the other side.

Does that sound any more sensible?

18 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm no expert on electrics so apologies for any errors but: part 2, disconnect the wire that goes to the B flasher unit terminal, regardless of colour. Pull your connector off the flasher unit, identify the terminal marked B, and trace the corresponding input on your plug-in to whichever wire comes off from the other side of it.

It appears you then take one of the green / purple wires from the hazard switch and connect it to this terminal and the other green / purple to the end of the cable you've just removed; with a connector like yours, not just a simple spade terminal as in cars like the Herald, you may need to cut into the cable an inch or two back and loop the switch into it at either end of the cut by soldering / other connector. (I like heatshrink for jobs like these to strengthen the joint and keep dirt out)

Then at the column stalk, follow the green wire to the bullet connector joint at the steering column. If it's a single bullet connector replace it with a double and connect / piggyback the green / white wire from the switch into the green /white circuit for one side of the car indicators, and the plain green switch wire into the green / red circuit for the other side.

Does that sound any more sensible?

Hi Colin, yes that certainly does help but I’m still struggling with the first bit. My understanding is that I cut the green wire going into terminal B on the flasher unit . I then connect one of the green/purple wires from the new hazard switch  to the green wire I’ve just cut going into terminal B and then connect the other hazard switch green/ purple wire to the other end of the cut green wire. Have I understood this correctly?

Yes; my initial thought was that if it was a spade terminal then you just connect the switch green/purple wire to the one on the end of the green cable, and the other green purple wire to the now exposed terminal on the unit, making a longer loop that now goes via the hazard switch.

SO: cut the relevant cable to the B-terminal, make sure you leave plenty to work on at the shorter end so cut back quite far (It doesn't need to be near the unit, just into the wire somewhere along its' length), and attach the green/purple wires to either cut end to insert the switch into that circuit. 

21 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes; my initial thought was that if it was a spade terminal then you just connect the switch green/purple wire to the one on the end of the green cable, and the other green purple wire to the now exposed terminal on the unit, making a longer loop that now goes via the hazard switch.

SO: cut the relevant cable to the B-terminal, make sure you leave plenty to work on at the shorter end so cut back quite far (It doesn't need to be near the unit, just into the wire somewhere along its' length), and attach the green/purple wires to either cut end to insert the switch into that circuit. 

Brilliant! Will give it a go later this week