Mk3 GT6 tailgate courtesy light switch

euan douglas

Hi all

New member so probably a pretty daft query but where do I find the switch that operates the courtesy light on the roof of my, fairly recently acquired, Mk3 GT6.  The light does not operate and I think it has a separate switch to those which operate the under dash light.

Any help gratefully received,

Cheers

Euan

Hi Euan

Unless a previous owner has altered the wiring the interior light switch on the left hand side of the dashboard should operate both the below dash and roof lights.

Does your roof light come on when you open the doors? It should do.

Suggest you check the bulb and wiring.

However I do believe that there might be a mercury switch located within the tailgate which activates the light when it is in the raised position.

Hope this helps

Stewart

Thanks all, I'll have a look later if I can bring myself to go out through the snow!  John, is the switch, if fitted, located under the plastic hinge cover, because otherwise it is not immediately visible?  The roof light does not operate when you open either the doors or switch on the dashboard switch  -  perhaps as simple as no bulb.

Thanks all, I'll have a look later if I can bring myself to go out through the snow!  John, is the switch, if fitted, located under the plastic hinge cover, because otherwise it is not immediately visible?  The roof light does not operate when you open either the doors or switch on the dashboard switch  -  perhaps as simple as no bulb.

Unfortunately Euan my car is away for painting and I cannot be sure if the plastic covers the swich. But even with the plastic cover in place I think you should be able to see the switch if it's there. If it is missing, there will be a round hole about 15mm diam where it should be. As the tailgate closes the left hand  hinge pushes the plunger on the switch in, breaking the circuit and putting the light out. Perhaps a GT6 owner could take a photo which as they say is worth a thousand words. :)

I had a look at mine, the central light and ignition key lamp come on when the door is opened or the dashboard switch switched but, not when rear hatch opened. The mk3 wiring diagram shows a hatch switch but I wouldn't take that as gospel. Mine's a late mk3 after Feb 73 upgrade. There were a lot of changes, Sundym glass, cloth seats, no rotoflex, servo as standard etc. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the boot switch gone, I can't see a switch where it's described to be, nor a hole for one.

I had a look at mine, the central light and ignition key lamp come on when the door is opened or the dashboard switch switched but, not when rear hatch opened. The mk3 wiring diagram shows a hatch switch but I wouldn't take that as gospel. Mine's a late mk3 after Feb 73 upgrade. There were a lot of changes, Sundym glass, cloth seats, no rotoflex, servo as standard etc. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the boot switch gone, I can't see a switch where it's described to be, nor a hole for one.

I had a late non roto MK3 and the roof light came on with the doors opened and/or with the tailgate open.

That's very interesting, electrical faults are not uncommon on my car :lol:  and it maybe a fault however, I still can't see the switch. has anybody got a picture?

Hi Doug, if you take off the plastic cover you should find a single purple wire going to one side of the roof lamp bulb and two purple and white wires which are joined together. One of those goes to the tailgate switch and the other to door and dash switches. Each switch completes the circuit by earthing. I hope that is of some help to you.

rgds

John

Doug , a ha! Seems slippers with pom poms brigade is looking a promising option

do we start a club ??? TsscSwPPB

I bought a Lidl £12 contiuous trickle and whatever , as the Cetek failed , ut I do keep popping out to see what its doing and so far seems fine apart every time you fit it you have to prompt it to car mode

or it thinks yoive a motorbike.

pete

pete