Brooklands Motorsports Day 8th Oct

Iain T

my Sister had a office services shop in Banbury where they repaired things like typewriters 

when the business closed we emptied the 3 story shop , found a dumb waiter under some cladding  

you could get 6 typewriters in it    it went down like  a rocket and spilled them out on the ground floor 

think we scrapped about 200 old machines is various states of old age but had to lie at the tip they began to ask where 

they all came from   happy days 

pete

11 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

my Sister had a office services shop in Banbury where they repaired things like typewriters 

when the business closed we emptied the 3 story shop , found a dumb waiter under some cladding  

you could get 6 typewriters in it    it went down like  a rocket and spilled them out on the ground floor 

think we scrapped about 200 old machines is various states of old age but had to lie at the tip they began to ask where 

they all came from   happy days 

pete

I had to type, often lengthy, reports on Pressure Vessel Examinations on a portable one, some of the "clients" required up to 5 copies, the effort needed to produce a legible bottom copy demanded very hard pressure on the keys. I was very grateful for my first P-C. which allowed me to print multiple copies, even if it was all set up in DOS, with less memory than my watch, and used 5" floppy disk`s for storage, before the advent of the Windows GUI. always wanted a MAC back then, but they where over twice the price up front. I still had that typewriter after I retired, no one asked for it, and to be fair I`d forgotton i still had it until we moved into the self-build and unpacked all the stuff from 3 years of storage. I think it went to a charity shop?.

Pete

20 hours ago, Iain T said:

What a thread drift! 

Anyway I take it no one is joining Billy No Mates at Brooklands? I'm getting a complex, no one at Sheer either, fink of my mental 'elf! 

Iain 

Enjoy, I think East Yorks, is just a tad too far for a Sunday out, we have a local gathering, if I get the passenger seat belt sorted we may just venture the few miles, the weather in your neck of the woods is predicted to be quite balmy, unlike up here where we are predicted have cloud coming and going☹️, Photo`s expected👍. Brooklands has quite a lot of "history", Back when I used to do examinations there for the BAC factory. There where 2 huge Bomb casings outside what had been Barnes Wallis` Office, "Tallboy" and "Grand Slam". His office was as he left it when he finished there. Got shown round by the site Engineer sometime in the early 80`s.

Don`t get me started on the modern "mental elf". I always think of the guys saw action in WW2, they just "got on with it". Mind I suspect an awful lot drank more than was good the pubs where always full come 5-6pm. My take is that the country has had it`s resiliance bred out of it. If we started moaning, we where more likely to get chucked out onto the Football or Rugby field to work it off, than given counciling.

Have a Good weekend!.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I think West Yorks is a bit too far from Brooklands! I've been to Brooklands a couple of times but never to this event. I'll take some photos and post. The weather is predicted to be sunny and 24C so I might even give my knees a last outing! I've rarely been up your part of the country other than to buy machinery from a company near Halifax and one outside Manchester. I remember the drive across to Manchester was absolutely gorgeous. Rolling hills, drystone walls so nice we had to stop and admire the views and a drivers paradise. A bit different to me driving through London Sunday attempting to avoid the congestion charge area or the wife will give me hell.... 

Have a nice weekend everyone, if your in Scotland put your life jacket on. 

Iain 

Dark rum or beer always makes me feel better. A couple of glasses of Goslings Black Seal went down a treat last night. 

Edited by Iain T

Excellent day out but I forgot going through Khan land is 20mph which was painful. Came back via M25! 

The Tallboy is still there and a unique Leyland special with a straight eight 7.3litre engine. The Napier Railton was also back from it's promotion outing. 

IMG_20231008_130621.jpg

IMG_20231008_130637.jpg

IMG_20231008_120530.jpg

IMG_20231008_120509.jpg

IMG_20231008_115811.jpg

IMG_20231008_120458.jpg

IMG_20231008_114933.jpg

Edited by Iain T
  • Like 1