Vitesse rear spring button replacement

I am about to replace the buttons on my rear spring.

There are 4 clamps on the spring, 2 have bolts through them and 2 are brackets which are bent around the spring.

Question is : Is it ok to heat these brackets with Oxy /Acetylene to enable them to be bent enough to allow spring removal OR is it a case of brute force and ignorance ?

18 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Question is : Is it ok to heat these brackets with Oxy /Acetylene to enable them to be bent enough to allow spring removal OR is it a case of brute force and ignorance ?

The unbolted clamps only prevent the leaves from moving fore and aft, they'll allow the spring leaves to be removed around them; the bolts on the others go through a tube and often rust so it can be hard to remove the bolts without damage, but replacement bolts are easy to find, particularly the ones with the correct length of 'collar' so that the unthreaded part rests on the bracket, not the weaker threads. Once the centre bolt is removed the leaves all separate and you'll see the dimples where the buttons should go, or the remains of the old ones.

IMG_4703.thumb.jpeg.26283ab0007182f2dd87f785095e2eb3.jpeg

Hi Colin. That’s brilliant information.

I shall have a go at it in the week and give an update on how I get on.

I’m hoping that the bolts aren’t seized based on the fact that the spring looks like it has been almost sealed from new with Ziebart / Dinitrol🤞.

Many thanks.

Pete.

5 hours ago, ed.h said:

Not sure if the Vitesse rear suspension is different from the GT6, but here is some info on the GT6 rear spring, including the buttons:

http://bullfire.net/GT6/GT6-8/GT6-8.html\

Ed

Thanks ed.h. That’s an interesting write up.

That looks the same! 👍

Edited by Puglet1