Distributor components.

SpitfireGeorge

7 minutes ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Hi Guys,

When tuning experts discuss distributors they mention changing tbe bob weights and springs. I have never seen any advertised for sale. Anybody know who sells them?

Cheers,

Brett

As far as I am aware it is the springs that can be changed, not the weights and also the stop that limits maximum advance could be modified. Moss were selling a pack of various springs a couple of years ago and may still do so.

about the only possible is the   distributor doctor 

but there is WHY   without a test rig you will be playing a guessing game and a chance to wreck your pistons 

if you have no experience in this its is seriously best  left alone to triumph specifications .

its relatively easy to change centrifugal weights on a  lucas but impossible if its a delco

changing springs is simpler but you need to have the correct data to know what you are trying to achieve

i would find something else to worry about 

Pete

10 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Hi Guys,

When tuning experts discuss distributors they mention changing tbe bob weights and springs. I have never seen any advertised for sale. Anybody know who sells them?

Cheers,

Brett

You should be able to easily check if your dizzy is within the quite wide range of limits listed in the manual using a strobe and friend👍

you cant change the bob weights in a delco without mending to destruction 

you have to buy the assembly and change the whole spindle assy.

you can replace the springs 

and is the vac unit settings same/similar between mk3 mkIV whilst this is a economy device the amount of advance it gives is quite critical 

(sorry ive not looked at the data in the WSM ) 

and testing data needs a careful read as its often done decelerating or you again get it all very wrong 

Pete