Triumph Herald 1200 Roof Removal For Respray

Hello all ! I am planning on respraying the roof of my Herald 1200 as it is looking a little bit more tired than the rest of the car. I was wondering how I would go about removing the roof and also how I would go about respraying it, could anyone please shed any light on this ? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ! 

roof removal is simple its quite heavy 

remove sun visors  there are 3 bolts across the front header two at the visor fix and one at the mirror 

will be screws or rivets holding the B post extention in place  

in the boot there are 3 bolts through the rear deck 

you will need to  disconnect and  de route the interior lamp harness

replacement may need replacement seals to the screen apperture and the rear deck 

there is a small rubber seal on top of the B post extention 

but   why not mask up and spray in situ ????

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your response ! I had never thought of keeping the roof in place and respraying it whilst it is in situ, that does seem like a better idea u[on thinking about it. How would I go about painting the roof and is there anywhere you'd recommend for buying primer and paint ? 

club shop do a good deal on paints 

and if you cant spray it  use a small foam roller  you can get a good finish with a bit of trying .

painted sons first mini  with japlac and a roller  it lasted 5 years and looked good , if not too close 

Pete

Hi

Chances are 1/2litre would be more than adequate, just for the roof. IF not spraying I would be tempted to look at the paints used by coach painters, rather than Auto;, some will also have colour matching to compensate for "fade". For Brush/Roller, Warm environment, BEST quality Brush/Roller, I found that putting paint tin in hot water helps. Get an old metal panel and do some practice runs to see if thinning helps with the final finish, The real "thing" though is the preparation, getting a good base/undercoat, always makes for a better finish regardless.

Pete

Be careful if removing the roof; you never know what horrors you'll find lurking underneath! The rear deck under the rear screen is prone to rusting through as are the base of the rear pillars. They say ignorance is bliss, but if you remove the roof and find serious rot, you may have a lot of work to do before the car sees the road again, and if you can't do it yourself it can be expensive. 

I will definitely be using a metal panel to practice on first. And yes, I have now completely decided against removing the roof, I will be respraying it in situ. Do you have any tips about how to mask the chrome trimming that is on the roof ? Would it be wise to remove the trimming so I can sand down the roof completely instead of just up until the trimming ? Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect thank you very much ! What would be the general step by step procedure, from start to finish, to go about spraying the roof ? Are there any bits and bobs to be especially cautious of ?