New prop Spit 1500 O/D?

AlanT

Hi All,

I’ve got the classic +50mph shake. The sliding joint on my prop has play in it so I’m looking at new props( have already tried changing UJs). Paddock’s have them at £135 which seems low vs. getting one made. Has anyone experience with these? 
Thanks 

Alan

My prop has play in the sliding joint but just needed straightening and balancing however dont know how the price of that will compare with a new one now. The advantage of reusing the original is that you can use quality UJs whereas I would expect any replacement to use the 6 pounds a shot ones....  

• Like 1

I think most of the spline wear occurs between its faces that transmit rotational drive rather than in a radial direction so not a major factor in prop out of balance. However I was told that prop bending is quite common although no idea how that happens!

Having ruled out all other causes of vibration at 50+mph( wheels,diff mounts,gbox mounts, driveshafts etc), I bought a new prop for my OD Vit last year from Bailey Morris. Cost £300.00.😟 Looked like a nice job, but when fitted  I noticed a small amount of play in the sIiding joint and still had vibration! So back it went for a rebalance. They also replaced the sliding jt . Fitted prop again, still had vibration! 😡I ended up taking the car to Vibration Free Services in Bicester. They put it on the ramp and ran her up. After a lot of testing,they measured 28 microns out of balance at the diff end, IIRC. They did'nt want to disturb the welded weight already on the prop, so eventually fitted 2 jubilee clips and that figure came down to 3 microns. This process took about 3 hours of test, adjust weight posn and orientation,measure again + a couple of road tests. Car now drives fine. I've never really understood why some Vits seemingly don't suffer from prop vibration at all, and others do. Are convertibles more prone? Are Mk2's ( mine) more prone? Does the extra weight of roto wishbone, and cast v links increase the likelyhood?

Wow I know vibration is an extremely complicated subject with harmonics and all sorts coming into it. Some cars might just resonate at a certain frequency so making a small amount of vibration, which on another car would be no problem, worse. In your case I think youve got to pray that you never need to replace a prop UJ or even dismount the thing😨 

30 minutes ago, johny said:

Wow I know vibration is an extremely complicated subject with harmonics and all sorts coming into it. Some cars might just resonate at a certain frequency so making a small amount of vibration, which on another car would be no problem, worse. In your case I think youve got to pray that you never need to replace a prop UJ or even dismount the thing😨 

Oh yes! 

Hopefully the job will see me out, before revisiting!  I've Tippex marked the Jub clips relative posns etc.

I think it comes back to ' just. because the shaft balances on the balancer does not necessarily mean it'll run true when fitted to the car'

it is always worth checking the connecting couplings for runout and aged bruising from years of mallet ingress

max runout less than 0.005" on the coupling fce and its spigot location

you can do what you like with the prop but a  wonky coupling means you wont succeed .

Pete

taking the prop to be balanced wont check the state of the wonky flanges on the diff and gearbox !!!!

always run a file over the faces or if you can use a DTI in the face and the register diameter  they are critical 

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

taking the prop to be balanced wont check the state of the wonky flanges on the diff and gearbox !!!!

always run a file over the faces or if you can use a DTI in the face and the register diameter  they are critical 

pete

I agree Pete. Did all that first. No faults found with flanges.

Thanks All. I think I’m going to go for a new prop. Climbing about underneath isn’t my fav activity but it will be a break from welding what has turned out to be a very rusty Morris!