Saggy rear end ! 😂. Vitesse mk 2 conv

So I have notice rear nearside corner is sagging.

have re bushed both rear suspension assemblies but no improvement?

when rear end is up on jacks the wheels “hang” evenly 

would appreciate some guidance on what to do next as a spring replacement is costly and atm I am not convinced that is the issue?

tia

NeillED132B99-261F-4888-968F-5B7DD355E09E.thumb.jpeg.b3a8a09d76d78ed082107cfddcd75ee8.jpeg59356E27-9D68-4404-98A8-12D05DE9B1A4.thumb.jpeg.de965f1a6a0e00f5cdce85b5d64a3c71.jpeg

Edited by Sneillyboy

• Sneillyboy changed the title to Saggy rear end ! 😂. Vitesse mk 2 conv

pictures off the ground are not going to help us with any solution

one thing i would check is jack in the centre of the rear axle and check for lean at the front 

then jack in the centre of the front and check for lean at the back 

one culprit is a bent anti roll bar best disconnect on end see if that makes a change 

with the car on the ground  does the supposed sag change if you reverse    incorrect rear toe will affect the wheel and body heights as the tyres try to converge

or diverge depends on excess toe in  toe out at the rear 

Pete

You really need to remove the spring to check it properly for damage?

I know the thicker Anti-roll bar on the later Spitfires can do strange things to the rear camber with the Swing springs, but I've never seen it before on Heralds or Vitesse's

A good wire brushing and you should be able to see any broken leaves.

The dimension of a Mk2 Spring in good condition are around 1012mm Eye to eye when removed or not under tension, the free arc height is around 165mm from the floor to the centre underside when resting in its normal position on a flat floor.

Have you got a spring lifting tool for removal and replacement of the spring?    

Spring Lifter Dimensions.pdf

• Like 1

been to have a look and its not really saggy but has 6 " rims and wide tyres so they foul up

on the wing flange on bumps etc  there is an observed  obvious excess toe in on the rears which is not helping

im not happy with the rim offset but thats what we have to work with 

the cars coming over to me one sunny day so we can at least set up the toe which will help with some better clearance 

see where from there 

Pete

• Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 16:37, Pete Lewis said:

been to have a look and its not really saggy but has 6 " rims and wide tyres so they foul up

on the wing flange on bumps etc  there is an observed  obvious excess toe in on the rears which is not helping

im not happy with the rim offset but thats what we have to work with 

the cars coming over to me one sunny day so we can at least set up the toe which will help with some better clearance 

see where from there 

Pete

Lucky man.

I wish I lived closer to you!