Cable size

rulloyd

Does anyone know the size (capacity?) of the unfused brown power cable between the Solomon’s and the ignition switch please? Its  thicker than most of the other cables as I presume it powers most circuits.  It look bigger than the 17amp cable I have sitting around.

i want to install a new cable as mine got accidentally melted…

many thanks

Rich

When looking at cable size and ratings on any chart, be careful because gauge, diameter and cross sectional area all need consideration. Even then, if bunched up or in a hot place you need thicker wire.

It also differs between the UK and USA.

Thanks Wagger.  Yes, ‘standard’  17amp wire is a lot thinner than 3mm.  I actually got the wire size from auto sparks uk who provided the loom in the first place and very good.  I’m actually replacing it with 27amp cable which has a silimar cross section as I couldn’t wait for a delivery from auto sparks 

For everyone’s interest, here’s the consequence of a shorted wire.  B4AE7B64-426E-4EF4-A094-9F36D4922277.thumb.jpeg.7ea4885b1e75baeff7ae39d7ea920932.jpeg

I’m taking the tape insulation of the length of the shorted wire, checking the other wires and replacing the damaged wire.  What a hassle

The damage in the pic was hidden from view till I took it out, in fact it was face down on the bulkhead and the car was driving fine.  There are a few similar damaged sections.  Scary.

Hi.
Cable size.
Could mean overall diameter or area (CSA). This was mentioned previously.

The CSA (Area) only dictates the resistance of the cable/wire, nothing else.
The insulation, proximity of other cables  & maximum operating temperature dictate the maximum current during overload (Fuse type & rating important).
Reduced Voltage drop is guaranteed if CSA is increased. Volt drop is inevitable. I think a 10% reduction is noticeable on lights/lamps.

I would buy thin-wall wire/cable as it is possible to buy the same OD & have a higher CSA.
If you drive your car in salt water, single colours are available in tinned copper.
Cheers,
Iain.