Sports Exhausts for Herald Engines

Eric Smith

Hi Guys

I am looking to buy a new Sports exhaust system to fit to my Standard 8 which was fitted with an 1147 Herald Engine.

The current old Solex inlet/exhaust manifold combination can now be replaced as at long last I have managed to find an SU side draft inlet manifold at an auto jumble.

I have seen that Rimmer Brothers have sports exhausts on their websites, I have not asked if they currently have stock because I first want to see if there are any other independent manufacturers out there who can supply me a new system for the car.

The question I now need to ask is do any of you guru’s and sages have any advice on potential or actual suppliers who I can contact - or - do I go to Lincoln and talk to Rimmer Brothers?

Thanks for your time

Eric

If you need a 1200 tubular manifold I have a NOS version trial-fitted to my 1200, going for half the price of a new one, but the only problem is carriage; under EU law the carriers won't take car parts at all as although I'm in the UK I'm also in the EU therefore not in either, otherwise it would have gone on eBay long ago! I can't risk selling it then finding out I can't deliver it. Never fully fitted nor used at all on a running engine. 

DSCF0003.thumb.JPG.c0c8f0152b570f429fc6a92951bbfb31.JPG

DSCF0001.thumb.JPG.b682c5c215cb14f053bffc2344a78007.JPG

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

but the only problem is carriage; under EU law the carriers won't take car parts at all as although I'm in the UK I'm also in the EU therefore not in either,

Colin, out of interest I've put any old area postcodes in for both you and Eric on DHL for car parts and it seems as though you might be able to send from no man's land to UK mainland.

Iain

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Colin, out of interest I've put any old area postcodes in for both you and Eric on DHL for car parts and it seems as though you might be able to send from no man's land to UK mainland.

Iain

Thanks Iain - but some say they will until they see the actual item. A while ago I tried to sell a wind deflector on eBay; DHL, DPD (depot 200 yards from me!) and UPS all declined to transport Car Parts, Royal Mail eventually took it as I lied and said it was a plastic shelf or the like for a house. The shape of the exhaust might give that away somewhat. I've had to travel the country round sometimes to find a carrier who will take items and you turn up at the counter only to get a refusal, so can never guarantee the delivery.

6 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

but some say they will until they see the actual item

Be creative and rename organ pipes or xxxxl size bagpipes 😂

Honestly I do think that by now the situation would have stabilised and common sense prevail......good luck!

Iain 

Hi Guys, thanks to everyone who has replied and contributed information so far, your advice is helpful.

Obviously many thanks to Colin L for his offer to sell me the tubular manifolds, I would be very interested in buying the manifold, however l have no idea as to how we can move forward because of these strange regulations??

There is no logic to all of these new rules and regulations, it’s not as if we are talking about moving toxic waste.

Eric

12 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Hi Guys, thanks to everyone who has replied and contributed information so far, your advice is helpful.

Obviously many thanks to Colin L for his offer to sell me the tubular manifolds, I would be very interested in buying the manifold, however l have no idea as to how we can move forward because of these strange regulations??

There is no logic to all of these new rules and regulations, it’s not as if we are talking about moving toxic waste.

Eric

I'll start enquiries next week from Monday; I'll message you with progress. I'd rather see it fitted to a good car than gathering cobwebs! (Love Standard 8s, always wanted one.)

On 20/03/2024 at 23:06, Eric Smith said:

Hi Guys

I am looking to buy a new Sports exhaust system to fit to my Standard 8 which was fitted with an 1147 Herald Engine.

The current old Solex inlet/exhaust manifold combination can now be replaced as at long last I have managed to find an SU side draft inlet manifold at an auto jumble.

I have seen that Rimmer Brothers have sports exhausts on their websites, I have not asked if they currently have stock because I first want to see if there are any other independent manufacturers out there who can supply me a new system for the car.

The question I now need to ask is do any of you guru’s and sages have any advice on potential or actual suppliers who I can contact - or - do I go to Lincoln and talk to Rimmer Brothers?

Thanks for your time

Eric

HI Eric,

Which SU inlet manifold do you have?

If it is the Herald manifold for H1 carbs, that will be too short to use with a tubular 4 branch exhaust manifold and needs to be used with the correct cast manifold.

If it is the Spitfire 4 or Mk2 manifold for HS2 carbs, you can use use with a tubular 4 branch exhaust manifold (as per Colin's), however due to the length of this inlet manifold it should be supported from below by the exhaust manifold, which as you can see Colin's has the bracket across the 4 pipes to do this, as will a Spitfire 4 cast manifold.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards
Jon

Herald Inlet.jpg

Spitfire 4 Inlet 1.jpg

Hi Jon.

The manifold I would like to fit is the one off the early Spitfire, but there is no room to fit twin carbs in the Standards engine bay without moving the clutch and brake master cylinders. To get around the lack of space fitting a good HS2 or HS4 SU on a single side draft manifold is the only way forward and would give the car a bit more umff.

There was a suggestion to find an early Mini manifold and I was amazed when I managed to find one an Auto Jumble in Suffolk a few weeks ago. I have to admit that I have not pulled off the manifolds off the engine but the Mini manifold looks as it will do the job.

If you are going say it won’t work, then the manifold goes on eBay and I am back to square one - but better informed.

Eric

1 hour ago, Eric Smith said:

Hi Colin Thanks for your help so far, I am looking forward to hear from you next week.

I hope we can get around the problems

Eric

Just retrieved it from the spares store. It's a Falcon, very nicely made (I believe for Moss Europe) and still with the suppliers label on. Never used on a running engine! 

As per Jon's enquiry, what manifold will you be using? I may also have the Spitfire manifold, will check in a few minutes.

DSCF9999.thumb.JPG.2c8b3d592d3d94a6ba29fcdd09c14d56.JPG

Screenshot2024-03-23at19_56_29.png.42ec6da5b40a8784242f21007465ee1e.png

On 23/03/2024 at 18:36, Eric Smith said:

Hi Jon.

The manifold I would like to fit is the one off the early Spitfire, but there is no room to fit twin carbs in the Standards engine bay without moving the clutch and brake master cylinders. To get around the lack of space fitting a good HS2 or HS4 SU on a single side draft manifold is the only way forward and would give the car a bit more umff.

There was a suggestion to find an early Mini manifold and I was amazed when I managed to find one an Auto Jumble in Suffolk a few weeks ago. I have to admit that I have not pulled off the manifolds off the engine but the Mini manifold looks as it will do the job.

If you are going say it won’t work, then the manifold goes on eBay and I am back to square one - but better informed.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Interesting thanks, I am afraid I have no idea about using a manifold made for a different engine i am afraid.
Clearly though, the inlet port sizes, spacing and mounting will have to be the same so that it fits, provides unimpeded flow and doesn't interfere with the exhaust manifold (they share studs and clamps).

I would guess the Herald type twin SU setup with short inlet manifold should fit, as I am sure I have seen Standard 8/10's with these, you just can't use a 4-2-1 tubular exhaust manifold with it.

Otherwise, you can get an inlet manifold for a twin choke weber carb for the 6 port head, not cheap though.

Kind Regards
Jon