Replacement 1147 Herald down draft manifold and carburettor

Eric Smith

Hi Guys, I decided to try different combinations of words and names into my search engine and came up with MG Midget, Austin Healey Sprite, 1200cc, down draft manifold and carburettor and came up with all sorts of photographs of manifolds and carburettors of which a few looked promising.

My question is: The “A” Series engines including the Mini were upgraded over the years and I am told the SC Herald engine has a lot of similarities therefore in relation to the inlet ports only - are they close enough to swop over or do they need fettling?

Your thoughts please

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys

A lot of people have looked at the previous post, but sadly no advice has been left, offered or suggested, so sadly I have had to go to “Plan B”

It was suggested by CL that I could use the inlet manifold I have - after a lot of fruitless looking and chasing, I have decided to cut up the current combined manifolds, keep the inlet section and bin the exhaust section.

Its sad that I could not find the manifold I needed and it’s even sadder to think that I have to butcher a combined manifold which has been around for 50+ years - but with this simple cost free modification I can fit my new sports manifold and down pipes

Since I wrote the previous post, I have found out that the Solex carburettor has lots of issues making it useless, so I am buying a single choke Webber carburettor and filter to help the engine breath.

By keeping the Heralds original downdraft manifold, I can save myself a lot of money and grief and if I want or need a bigger carburettor, I can jump into that rabbit hole and buy something different.

Thanks for reading my essay!

Eric

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

why not a spitfire/herald twin SU  set up but without a cam to match the power wont improve much 

the weber may be a reliable transplant to the Solex but take care you can spend ££££s and its no quicker ,

pete

You not been paying attention, Pete?? Won't fit in the Standard engine bay due to lack of room - it's not for a Herald.

I'd still be inclined to go the Stromberg route; after all it was good enough for the 13/60. All you need is to adapt the carb connections slightly; I did it on my 1200 with just a simple bracket extension - bottom right and centre left of the first photo. This takes up vertical room not horizontal.

DSCF0098.JPG.3ce6a9cc87f734203fcf1c1de093c14a.JPG  DSCF0097.JPG.186bb05e37c58e7b88b8bdc75eab0b25.JPG

If Eric wants that cut 1200 manifold that I adapted, it's available - I'm not intending to use it, certainly not in the near future. I also have the twin carb 948 and early Spitfire manifolds but reckon they're not suitable. I'll even sandblast and repaint it - the silver VHT paint was rubbish. If fitted with a Stromberg adaptor it'll be an easy upgrade.

DSCF3776.JPG.7726d45a373d918f64ee1bcc33aba433.JPG

ha  Colin   its because its stopped raining , history has fogged up 

had a feeling it had been discussed but didnt back pedal  

best power in crease maybe  fit a 1500 and single strom ???? as per 13/60/ usa spec 

my experience with webbers generally is poor MPG and no more horses 

pete

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

And just my opinion based on experience, that chrome air filter may look bling but they are useless for air flow.

S

Ever tried fitting the 'standard' Herald airfilter box at that angle and at that raised height? :) But, yes, there were a few variations tried over the period.