Rear diff oil seal.

Hey forum wise folk, I’ve been off the forum for a little while, just got my car back and mot’d and I’ve got more leaks than Thames water. 
Diff, overdrive and main all leaking with a 5 year old core plug leaking too. 
I’ve done the overdrive rear flange a few times now (bought a new drive flange this time) I’m looking at the rear diff one and after reading lots of previous posts you all got me scared! I’m pretty handy but it’s been a few years since I got my them dirty, I’ve got the worse case scenario of nyloc nut, so I know I’ve got to mark, housing, flange and nut, but what’s the best proven method for removing the old seal?  and when I put it back, do I torque or just get the marks to align? And how accurate does it need to be? 

thanks hag 

PS I have tool to hold flange. 

IMG_0146.jpeg

Hi 

Did my seal a few months back.

Count the turns of the nut.

Remove oil seal with seal remover leveror a screwdriver.

Apply lock tight

Tighen nut back up and of course count the turns 

Torque up as recommended

Job done

Brilliant, I’ll give it a go at the weekend then, slightly curious on the lock tight as surely the nyloc takes care of that? 

thanks hag 

10 hours ago, haggis said:

Brilliant, I’ll give it a go at the weekend then, slightly curious on the lock tight as surely the nyloc takes care of that? 

thanks hag 

It`s Allway`s a good idea to regard "Nylock" fasteners as being "One Shot". They mostly will still work, but in the real world?. Locktight won`t hurt, (I`ve even used superglue before to-day). Clean with Brake cleaner or similar to remove grease traces.

Pete

the chance a nylock will do anything to stop a coupling from shuffle undoing is remote 

in all the torque testing we were involved with in trucks was they were useless an many fixings reverted to plain nut and washer .

there are two types of  triumph diff preload spacers   castle nut and pin  has a solid spacer 

nylock nut   uses a collapsible spacer

a solid spacer will maintain the preload its set with shims when you mess with the nut.

the collapsible spacer will maintain its size and the preload if the nut is replaced to the same torque and position as of the factory fit,

overtighten can overload the pre load , loose and you reduce the pre load .

pre load is required to keep things in mesh under ll the variable loads put through the geartrain

take care when hooking the oil seal you do not get hold of the outer brg. roller cage !!!!

and dont forget to top up the oil levels  and if you want quieter diffs try EP140 GL4 

but not in the gear box

pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

Well I found out why it’s leaking I think? Guess this ain’t going back on. This was a rebuilt diff about 6 years ago from one of the main suppliers, there’s no way this could happen to new flange in such a short time, few miles is there? They must have fitted it like that. 🤷‍♂️

hag 

That looks like it was worn and someone has tried to resurface it by grinding which of course will make it smaller and rougher! Could possibly be saved using a speedisleeve but god knows what size it is now...

To be honest, the leak wasn’t that bad. As I’m trying to get to SEM and with a short week and no suppliers showing stock, might just metal epoxy it and stick it back in.

thanks hag

• 3 weeks later...

Well the epoxy metal filler worked, managed to get a new flange but won’t fit until leaks again. Did the two hour drive to sem and so far so good. Thanks for all your help. Hag