Spitfire MkIV/1500 Windscreen Fitting

So I know this is a topic that's been covered before and I've read those threads - but stepping out armed with a new windscreen, Baines rubber, black gutter sealant, long length of thin cord, etc I sort of fell at the first couple of hurdles.

1) Looking at the silver plastic "C" section trim currently fitted to the car the longer leg of the "C" is fitted into a slit in the rubber just around from the slot the glass is in - and then it just sits there, the other, short leg of the "C" isn't in anything, the tip of the leg just rests against the rubber (with no sign of a second slit for it to go in).  Is that correct?

2) From what I can see the seal currently fitted just has; a slot with ridges around it that the glass sits in, a slit one leg of the silver plastic "C" trim slots in, then a slit/slot that goes either side of the car body.

My new seal has a similar wide, ridged slot that I assume is for the glass, then a slot which would be the one the single leg of the "C" trim goes in - but then I have a sort of channel slightly thinner than the ridged glass one, with the 'outside' lip a little taller than the 'inside' one AND a second slit, further around 'inside' of that.  It feels like that uneven sided channel might be the opposite side to the glass channel but I'm now confused if I've got it the wrong way around/the wrong rubber/or what.

Worst case I'll just bring it to SEM next Sunday and wander around dragging a windscreen rubber and asking random people 😁

I've never had to replace one of these, but I think the C-section holds itself on by tension against the inner lip all the way round ie it can't fall out as the opposite side is pushing against that. It obviously needs to be very rigid so that it cannot flex itself out, but the outer lip doesn't seem to have any spring tension to grip and hold things in place.

Thought I'd better have a look at mine since replacement is going to be needed soon. Yup, same arrangement: The inner perimeter of the trim sits into the slot in the rubber and the outer perimeter 'floats'. How does it stay in place??

Hitherto I've done very badly at fitting Spit/GT6 screens. The rubber itself is not so hard; it's the trim which makes it difficult in terms of getting it to 'agree' with the rubber. And stay there.

I might think about the Jaguar method (XJ6 1970's models). That era of XJ6s had a broadly similar rubber/finisher arrangement but the official Jaguar method was GLUE. The skinny lip could hold the trim provisionally but fixing relied on copious glue, clamping and leaving overnight. So I'm wondering if others have done better with Spits/GT6s with the use of adhesives? Any thoughts?

Spitfire screen trim fit copy.JPG

Spitfire screen trim fit.JPG