Vitesse DIY

Stevecb

I've just bought a Vitesse MK 2 convertible. It's very up together as I'm not particularly mechanically minded although I would love to tackle a few projects. I want to focus on the interior at this stage. I've been reading up on what people have done so I'm looking for relatively simple things I can cut my teeth on and gain some confidence! Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received. Thanks Steve

May I suggest doing a service? That way you will learn A LOT about the car.

change the oil and filter (decent 20-50 grade oil)

check and adjust the points. Check air filters

Oil the trunnions

grease the various grease-points around the car

Check front brakes for wear

Check rear brakes, clean and adjust. Lubricate the cables and linkages.

All this sort of thing was in the owners manual then the cars were new. In other works it was expected that owners could and would maintain their cars themselves. Something people forget, and often the reason cars get branded unreliable- it is more a case of lack of use and maintenance.

Forget the interior until you can maintain the car itself, and fix the basics. After all no good having a car that doesn't go anywhere, or you can't get going if it stops unexpectedly!

Besides, work out what you want to achieve. Do you want to use the car for very limited driving, but lots of local shows and polishing?

Do you want to go touring around europe clocking up large mileages?

Do some trackdays, rallies or other competitive events?

Local area meetings are an ideal place to learn about the cars, and if you are friendly, people will offer help and advice freely.

http://vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals for online service manuals if you prefer book then

Club shop is stockist

search all triumph parts suppliers, there are many , prices vary , quality can vary,

dont forget club shop

add a genuine workshop manual to your first wish list that way you get the correct basic triumph information

two grease guns from a boot sale , wanner take some beating one for grease one for trunnion oiling

never grease the front trunnions

oils for gearbox diff and trunnions is EP90 GL4 spec

grease for rear hub front hubs steering rack and general use just normal LMH multi.

As clive say good engine oil 20/50 use one with good z addatives normally £18 to £28

cheaper are around but they loose tend to loose pressure and protection when well used.

pete

If you're intent upon doing something to the interior, how comfortable are your seats? Over time the inner foams crumble to dust and you're sitting on springs and webbing. I've done a lot to my car, engine, suspension, electrics, but comfortable seats was (were?) one of the best upgrades and not difficult to do. By chance there's another thread on here, "Vitresse Mark1 seat re covering", which will tell you what's involved.

The only thing I would say about a grease gun full of oil is, they don't like it up 'em!  My second grease gun, like its predecessor, has decided it doesn't like oil anymore and spews it out everywhere except where it should. So I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an oil gun from the club shop. 

seat foams are always more £ than you expect,  and its not easy to cut a block into shape or have the right firmness rating  so seat fixes can be 

more than you think, but the result is good 

the covers  are held on the frame with hog rings, nasty little sods that take some removing ,on replacement use cable tywraps    much simpler and very effective.

Doug my Wanner guns   are  nearly as old as me and these dont leak the advantage of a oil gun with the extension is you can  top up the gearbox from the lounge.

pete