STAG rear wheel bearings

My Stag has just passed its Mot (28-May 24) with an advisory the near side wheel as slight up & down movement.

My question being:- could the wheel bearing be the culprit and are they tapered adjustable wheel bearings?
The MOT tester didn’t appear overly concerned - has  anyone any advise for me.

Many thanks

Brian SCULPHER

This similar post on the Tr forum may assist you

The TR6 is fitted with a similar rear wheel bearing set up 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjS8pi6x7CGAxVHVUEAHfCtAF0QFnoECBoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tr-register.co.uk%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F73718-play-in-rear-hubs%2F&usg=AOvVaw0uKowmv-Yd6-Rl8PT32Mkg&opi=89978449

I don't wish to alarm you but the rear Hubs can fail disastrously on the trailing Arm type suspension fitted to a TR4a/5/6, Stag and the 2000/2500 Models, so any play is not a good sign.

Regards

Gary 

Edited by Gary Flinn

Yes Gary`s link to the TR item is well worth reading. If you have play in the hub, it means the bearing is on its way out, or it wasn`t set up correctly in the first place, easy to over tighten the crushable spacer. This is not a job for the inexperienced or faint hearted.     Mac.

its easy to pull the whole shaft out through the back plate you can then see the nut/locknut and tab washer that 

controls the bearing float , 

you need a thin wall spanner that no body has , its very shallow nut .

I got exchange hubs  in the end , ,the bearings are pretty bullet proof ,but you cant rely on knocking the nuts to 

tighten them .

stub failures i am sure is from fitting exchange hubs and you  fit an previous LH to a RH  etc.  and the 

torsional memory starts a crack and off goes the wheel with a lot of damage .

Pete

I neglected to add my car had a wire wheel conversion some years ago and I recently removed that wheel just as an exercise changing out a wire wheel.

Perhaps that may have attributed to the slight movement issue or am I chasing rainbows!!

dont feel any of that is connected to the end float on the two taper brgs .

sorry rainbows wont help here   Ha !!

i have searched much and not found any spanner made by churchill or anyone else 

daft  we should get some made its a simple thing to adjust but without the thin spanners  ....quite hopeless

blasted annoying really.  

Pete

its easy to pull the drive shaft and hub just undo the uj coupling to the diff, remove the wheel and drum undo 6 nuts draw the whole assy through the back plate dont mess with the brakes at all.

you will see the thin crazy nuts that control the end float , if you can find a way to make a spanner to fit 

untab the lock washer , lightly re nip the inner nut, check the float has reduced, lock the lock nut 

its that simple     I do not expect the bearing to have worn or failed its just a adjustment no different to front hubs but you wont get spanner that works  

when withdrawing  try to not let the telescope on the shaft to unload ., has a master spline easy to relocate on the bench but in the dark not so easy  Ha!

Pete